London Fashion Week Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

London Fashion Week is always an exciting time for fashionistas, but with over 70 shows packed into 5 days, it can be hard to keep track of all the looks from the catwalk. And with this year’s LFW coinciding with fresher’s week, you can be forgiven for taking your eye off the runway to settle into Exeter. With the spotlight on London, fashion week is the ultimate moment for the top British designers to showcase their talent to the rest of the world. So sit back, and catch up with our round-up of the key looks and designers from this year’s shows, and check out what’s in store for summer 2014.

Day 1 Friday 13th September

We love the drama and kitsch of PPQ’s SS14 collection, which will no doubt inspire our outfits for upcoming balls and black tie events. Head designer Amy Molyneaux  has been known to describe her ideal client as ‘Sophia Loren in a rush with Peter Sellers in tow’. Channel this level of quirky glamour by pairing chunky statement heels with flowing chiffon to ensure your status as the best dressed in the room.

We all know him as Debenhams’ most prolific guest designer, but Jasper Conran’s own collection is by far the one to watch. Since starting his eponymous line at 19, this fashion veteran was one of the first ever designers to show at LFW.  Take inspiration from his SS14 collection by not being afraid to clash prints! This look can actually work for a casual Costa date if you keep the colours similar and neutral. 

[pagebreak]

Day 2 Saturday 14th September

The queen of graphic prints and riots of colour, Holly Fulton did not disappoint with her latest collection this year. Fulton has stuck to her trademark style of vintage twenties-inspired graphics with her SS14 presentation, but has brought the look up to date by pairing a daring pencil skirt with a preppy sweatshirt. HCX loves this way of styling a statement item by dressing it down with a student classic.

Following the runaway success of his collaboration with Topshop, J.W. Anderson was on top form at LFW with a packed catwalk show. HCX loves his trademark androgynous style, which the designer has described as ‘things that can be borrowed from a man to a woman and from a woman to a man.’ Channel this look for the last days of summer by not being afraid to play with proportion. Let the classic white camisole and summer staple of the maxi skirt take centre stage for volume with minimal hair makeup.

[pagebreak]

Day 3 Saturday 15th September

Mid-way through fashion week, we saw designers such as Preen and Mulberry hit the catwalk. Topshop Unique, Mulberry, and Sophia Webster brought summer greenery to the runway with grass catwalks, roses, and flowers, making a lovely departure from conventional catwalks. Mulberry’s collection, the last before creative director Emma Hill steps down, was both feminine and quirky, with floral prints adorning shorts, jackets and midi skirts. These were occasionally juxtaposed with sexy leather pieces, which contrasted with the floral setting dramatically.

The Topshop Unique show proved that crochet can be sexy, and with an A-list audience including Kate Moss and Anna Wintour, showed the fashion world that a high street brand can be a luxury fashion contender. Meanwhile, it was a different story at Preen, with their stark white runway, and bold structured pieces and graphic prints.

Also, Matthew Williamson was a favourite of the day, with a collection that epitomised youthful, sophisticated and feminine fashion, such as this amazing jumpsuit. We cannot wait for Spring!

[pagebreak]

Day 4 Saturday 16th September

Day four was all about one brand – Burberry. With FROW celebs including a particularly dashing Harry Styles, all eyes were on a large marquee erected in Hyde Park. Mint green and pastels ruled the ‘English Rose’ collection, and this softer palette was reflected in looser coats and chiffon draping. Always one to spice things up, Chief Designer Christopher Bailey chose accessories which gave the collection that flash of colour, from bright clutches to colour popping gladiator heels. In contrast, Tom Ford’s collection was a darker and more dramatic show. There wasn’t a midi skirt or pastel in sight, with short printed skirts and detailed leather tops brandishing the runway.

The designer also increased the drama with his stunning bejewelled pieces, including this incredible blue bodysuit. Although both Burberry and Tom Ford’s collections were at the opposite ends of the spectrum, they were both equally dynamic.

[pagebreak]

Day 5 Sunday 17th September

Last but not least, the final day of LFW saw Stella McCartney mix it up with her collection for Adidas. If you ever thought your scruffy leggings and old t-shirt were suitable for a work out, this collection will put you to shame, with its funky prints, and practical outerwear.

Finally, our favourite look from the Emilio de la Morena’s collection is this nude dress with the electric blue neckline. We love the mixture of colours, and loose draping with the sharp neckline!

Credits: www.londonfashionweek.co.uk

http://www.demotix.com/news/2715200/emilio-de-la-morena-catwalk-show-london-fashion-week-ss14#media-2715082

Maxine Vining is currently a 3rd year History and Politics student, and Current Affairs Editor at HCX.  
Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.