This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

One of the hardest things about leaving for university is saying goodbye to your bedroom. A girl’s room is her personal haven; one that she’s likely to have spent her teenage years perfecting. The decision on what photos to take, what personal knick knacks to throw away and even whether or not to bring your old teddy bear on the journey with you, can be even trickier than picking the actual university you’re planning to attend. 

So, HCX have compiled a few helpful suggestions to help make your new university room feel less like Halls and more like Home.

1.  Most University rooms tend to come with your typical cork notice board. These tend to be covered with drawings, markings and messages; and while they may have meant something once, they don’t have any importance for you. Covering the notice board in wrapping paper is a great way to brighten up a dull aspect of your room and express your personality with your choice. Notice boards are also a great place to pin up tickets, wristbands and other mementoes from your first year of university. 

[pagebreak]

2.  Flowers always give a room some much-needed colour. But constantly cleaning up wilting petals can become a chore and buying fresh flowers every week will certainly begin to bite into your student loan. So why not try something a little bit different? HCX suggests a bonsai tree; they require very little work and will give your room a touch of sophistication. 

[pagebreak]

3.      Your room at university might not be as big as the one you’ve left at home and this can take some getting used to. It’s important to be efficient with your space and bringing some of your own storage isn’t a bad idea. Small trinket boxes or wicker baskets can be used for holding jewellery, stationary or anything else you might have brought with you and will make your room feel cosy rather than cluttered.

4.      When you look back on that first year of university, you’ll find that a lot of your time was spent tucked up in bed, fast asleep! So it’s worth investing some money into making your bed as comfy as possible. A selection of soft throws and pillows will transform your bed into a comforting refuge; the perfect escape after a three-hour long lecture!

5.      A lot of people go to university with the aim to become their new mature selves. But while rushing to IKEA to buy a whole collection of things to match the new you may seem like a good idea at the time, there’s nothing worse than spending a year in a room where you don’t feel at home. So don’t be embarrassed to be sentimental in decorating your room with some keepsakes from back home, remember its your room and no one else’s.

Hopefully these tips have given you some ideas on how to make your halls room feel like home for your first year. We’d love to hear more of your own suggestions below!

Photo Credits: Pinterest 

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.