Wellness > Mental Health

Hometown Anxiety: How to enjoy your time away from uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

My homecoming for the Christmas holidays was a potent mix of nostalgia and wistfulness. Having finished my first semester in Milan, it was only natural for me to feel a sense of longing for Italy – the independence, the personal growth, the people. But perhaps there is something more sinister which resides beneath, a pinch of anxiety whenever I step foot in the town that I grew up in. A term, I only recently discovered, is called: hometown anxiety

While I have continuously experienced this phenomenon throughout my time at university, it appeared especially formidable upon my return from my exchange programme. This confusing sensation led me to conduct a bit of research on the topic, and to my surprise I found various TikTok’s, forums, and articles which dissected the concept of hometown anxiety. Summarising what I have found, I suppose hometown anxiety could be described as:

A state of anxiety and/or depression felt when one returns to their hometown for any length of time.

In order to reduce the effects of this phenomenon, I have compiled a short list of suggestions to try and have a productive and enjoyable experience during your time away from university.

• Reach out to your childhood friends

Catching up with friends by going for a coffee or drinks is a great way to blow off some steam and can make for an enjoyable distraction if you are suffering from hometown anxiety. Bonus points if you reach out to dormant childhood friendships and re-spark the relationship. While we often outgrow friendships, it doesn’t mean that we cannot appreciate the good memories shared together and check in every once in a while. Some of my go-to activities when I am back home includes ice skating, going to the cinema, and checking out new restaurants.

• Go for study dates with your fellow University pals

Many of my childhood friends also go to university, and although we have been scattered across the UK (or globe, in my instance) it is always fun to meet up when everyone is back for the Christmas holidays. Organizing study sessions with your fellow University pals is a great way to catchup and get some work done at the same time!

• Work on yourself!

While my Christmas holidays are generally filled with relaxing and eating copious amounts of food, I am not opposed to trying new activities and self-improvement. Some of my personal pleasures include doing yoga and swimming at my hometown’s local leisure centre. Indulge yourself in your interests while you have the time and freedom to do so.

• Find a seasonal job

If you don’t have the luxury of friends in your hometown, then maybe consider finding a seasonal job in the local area. While recruitment processes can be obscenely lengthy, seasonal jobs can be great for meeting new people and earning some extra cash.

• Don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends and family

Going home can be daunting for anyone – losing your university routine and being removed from your new-found friends and freedoms is also an adjustment period in of itself. Confiding in trusted friends and family is a sure way to ease some of the anxiety which is felt upon returning home. They may have some insights and advice that you haven’t considered, and it will open up a constructive dialogue to unpack your concerns.

A huge nerd with a passion for niche tv shows, RPGs, and playing my guitar. You will usually find me consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, or stressing in the library!