HCX Travel: Luxury Resort of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week we’re heading over to Oman, a country on the southeast coast of the Arabian Peninsula.  Oman may be relatively unknown on the western hemisphere, shrouded slightly by the more popular Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, but it’s somewhat of a travel gem!

One of Oman’s top luxury resorts is Shangri-La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa in the capital Muscat. The three-hotel luxury resort lures in holiday-makers with its private beach set against a rugged mountain backdrop and desert landscape: the perfect getaway for those in need of relaxation, breath-taking views and sunshine! It won’t take long for you to fall in love with the dreamy blue waters of the Sea of Oman and silky gold sand which await you!

From dramatic sunsets to turquoise water, the resort showcases the beauty of Oman in all its splendour. Al Husn, the superior of the resort’s three hotels, is described as a “suitably exclusive castle”, like stepping foot into an Arabian Palace. The architecture, grandeur of the bedrooms and authentic Omani artworks make the hotel incomparable.

The resort offers plenty in the form of fine dining, particularly when it comes to exquisite Arabian cuisine. With a choice of sixteen different restaurants, you are invited to explore varying cuisines, including traditional Omani seafood on the beach.  

In terms of recreation, holiday-makers are encouraged to take advantage of the several swimming pools which merge to form a peaceful oasis. Similarly, the CHI Spa is perfect for those wishing to “pamper the body and soul” in the form of relaxation, massages and meditation. A keen snorkeler or scuba diver? The Gulf of Oman offers guests the chance to plunge into its spectacular underwater scenery and experience its aquatic life first-hand. Other recreational activities offered by the resort include kayaking and sailing.

It’s no wonder that amongst other accolades, the resort topped the Condé Nast Gold Awards in 2012! Now that’s what we at HCX call paradise…

To oogle over some more luxury hotels, check out our former Luxury Resort of The Week: Teniqua Treetops Knysna in South Africa.

Photo credits: www.shangri-la.com

Montana is a fourth year English Literature and French student and Travel Editor for HCX. She recently spent her year abroad in Paris interning in journalism and marketing for the International Herald Tribune and Twenga respectively. Her year abroad highlights include running the Paris half marathon, attending H&M's A/W 2013 fashion show and watching the women's semi-finals at the French Open. Montana also keeps a blog where she updates her readers on everything from travel and cultural outings to food and French men. When she's not accidentally offending French people with her unsubtle sarcasm, Montana can be found singing along to musical soundtracks, eating too much cheese, quoting Mean Girls, putting on a half-convincing American accent or lusting after anything purple. She's also a keen skiier and occasionally enjoys waterskiing and scuba-diving too. Montana's dream is to travel the world one day so she is thrilled to be Travel Editor for HCX this year and can't wait to start up the new section!