HCX Travel: Luscious Hotel of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Teniqua Treetops

Knysna, South Africa

A renovated cattle farm, the tented tree house resort of Teniqua Treetops has grown out of the ground at the hands of South African couple Viv and Robyn Patz and their team, working diligently to make their dream a reality.

Picture this: Tucked away in the Knysna forests, in amongst an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, stands your private tree house. The lush views are staggeringly breathtaking and the wildlife will not disappoint: a vast array of birds as well as Southern Cape Bushbuck and, if you are really lucky, you may even catch a glimpse of the mysterious leopard. The meandering river walk nearby offers a greater chance of spotting one among the foliage as well as an unbeatable picnic location!

With eight unique tree houses, each special in its own way, there is something to suit every visitor’s need. Of course the open-air bathrooms and spectacular scenery lend itself to being a romantic destination. On the other hand, Teniqua Treetops is a family-run resort and inevitably reflects this ethos. Facilities include two swimming pools, a sun deck, braai (BBQ) area, games room, trampoline and conference centre.

This rustic African retreat promises an unforgettable holiday for lovers of the great outdoors!

Carrie Ashton is a third year Geography student and Deputy Travel Editor for HCX. Having been on a committee each year so far (organising the Exeter Halls Summer Ball and Treasurer for GeogSoc), she is keen to be part of something new - starting the travel section of Her Campus being the ideal opportunity! Having grown up in South Africa and travelled fairly extensively since and in her Gap Year, Carrie has a keen interest in travel. Although she loves lying in the sun with a good book, it is the more adventurous trips that she enjoys - including scuba diving, sailing and reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro last year in aid of Practical Action.