HCX Travel: Hotel of the Week…Camping to Glamping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The term “University Bubble” is used by many a student to describe that transparent and delicate layer which keeps us at a distance from that big wide world AKA real life. It’s the notion of naive optimism which keeps the bubble burst-free while people on the outside feel like we’re lacking in something called intellectual muscle. Pfft. Anyway, enough about the higher education system and its metaphorical bubbles.

The Attrap’Rêves hotels in France are offering you a different type of bubble. Ever wanted to sleep beneath the stars without the hassle of setting up camp in the middle of the forest with your sleeping bag and matches? Now is your chance to sleep in a perfectly spherical bubble in full blown luxury in the middle of the French countryside. If you’re a fan of nature but not so fond of the bugs and insects, this might be just for you! 

The portable transparent bubbles were designed by Pierre Stephane Dumas who liked the idea of allowing people to sleep comfortably in the middle of nature without disturbing the natural environment. The hotel currently has 4 different bubble locations all over the South of France and each complex has no more than 6 bubbles, set up in prime locations with their own private access pathways. The bubbles also pride themselves on the fact that they are 100% Eco-friendly, using only bio-degradable or recyclable materials! 

The bubbles come in different styles such as the Aladdin 1001 Nights Bubble fit with Moroccan silks and your very own magic lantern; the Zen Bubble presented in Japanese tatami style with Zen buddhism decor for ultimate relaxation; the Chic & Design Bubble for modern elegance and your private bathroom bubble; the Glamour Bubble for the romantics out there who aren’t afraid to gush at love hearts and rose petals; the Nature Bubble with grass flooring and pastoral decoration, giving you sweeping panoramic views of the countryside.

The bubbles are a unique and romantic spot for those wishing to go that extra mile, each one located within close proximity to a small hotel “village” where guests can use the telescopes to stargaze or enjoy private use of the jacuzzi. Here guests are given the option to dine at the lodge-style restaurant or if they prefer, eat within the serenity of their own bubble. Luxury food boxes prepared by an on-site chef can be delivered straight to your bubble including a selection of the region’s finest organic wines and Champagne.

The bubbles can also be enjoyed all-year-round so if it’s your dream to wake up to a winter wonderland of snow-topped pine trees, there couldn’t be anything more perfect! From Provençal pine forests to majestic valleys, the settings encapsulate the beauty of France, giving you a night’s sleep you’ll never forget!

For more gushing, check out last week’s Resort of the Week in Oman!

Montana is a fourth year English Literature and French student and Travel Editor for HCX. She recently spent her year abroad in Paris interning in journalism and marketing for the International Herald Tribune and Twenga respectively. Her year abroad highlights include running the Paris half marathon, attending H&M's A/W 2013 fashion show and watching the women's semi-finals at the French Open. Montana also keeps a blog where she updates her readers on everything from travel and cultural outings to food and French men. When she's not accidentally offending French people with her unsubtle sarcasm, Montana can be found singing along to musical soundtracks, eating too much cheese, quoting Mean Girls, putting on a half-convincing American accent or lusting after anything purple. She's also a keen skiier and occasionally enjoys waterskiing and scuba-diving too. Montana's dream is to travel the world one day so she is thrilled to be Travel Editor for HCX this year and can't wait to start up the new section!