HCX + Rock Solid: Georgina Dorr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Saturday 19th March, the HCX girls will be teaming up with CoppaFeel! to complete Exeter’s 10km RockSolid course, raising money and awareness to help young girls get to know their breasts and promote early detection of breast cancer symptoms. As the day approaches, we caught up with a couple of our girls who will be participating… Next up is dedicated Travel Editor Georgina Dorr.

Name: Georgina Dorr

Age: 21

Year: 4

Studying: Modern Languages

A fact about yourself: I spent a year living and working in Spain.

What is your weekly training regime?

I try to get to the gym as much as I can: I love Zumba on Friday evenings. Living in a sporty house, I also go for runs with my housemates whenever we have time. Running by the quay is one of my favourite aspects of living in Exeter.

Is there a particular aspect of this regime you enjoy the most?

Doing sport with friends always makes it so much more enjoyable and less of a chore. Running with a friend is a great way to catch up and have a gossip – and getting fit at the same time! I also always look forward to Zumba as the Spanish songs are right up my street!

How do you motivate yourself on these cold January mornings?

That’s not always the easiest thing, I must admit. But the feeling after exercising beats that freezing jump out of bed in the morning – so it’s all worth it! 

Why are you supporting CoppaFeel!, and what does it mean to you?

I’m actually the Publicity Officer for Exeter Uni Boob Team, which is the CoppaFeel! Charity here on campus. I’ve been involved for the past three years as I think Breast Cancer is something so close to so many of our hearts. Although there are lots of Cancer Charities, CoppaFeel! is so great because it takes the stigma away from a horrible subject. We encourage you all to just check your boobs every once in a while, just so you know what your ‘normal’ feels like. We do fun events such as ‘boob ball’, ‘Mean Girls nights’ and of course, boob cakes! CoppaFeel!’s audience is us, young girls who don’t think that they will be affected, so we’re trying our very best to make sure that they aren’t.

What are your top tips for looking great while training?

Honestly, I don’t look that great when I train, but training means that I feel great about myself when I’m not doing exercise. I try not to wear make up when running, as I know how bad that is for your skin, but cute sportswear always helps to distract!

Do you have a favourite outfit to exercise in?

I’m currently loving my funky Nike leggings, which make me feel great even when the last place I want to be is in the gym.

Do you have a special meal/snack that energises you?

Being veggie and gluten free means that my snack choices are limited, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t do exercise! I love to start the day with a hearty bowl of porridge or eggs and avocado – and I can always rely on Nakd Bars for a pick me up during the day.

Any advice you would like to share with fellow runners?

Just do it! It doesn’t matter if you’re not a world class athlete, no one is going to be judging you. Just remember, that even if you have a bad run and only last a few minutes, you’re still outlapping everyone on the sofa!

Thank you Georgina- from all the HCX team, we wish you luck on Saturday! 

For more information about RockSolid, as well as CoppaFeel’s other work promoting breast cancer awareness, check out their Facebook page here. 

Charlotte is a third year Maths and English student who is President for HCX. She loves reading about the history of major designers and browsing through their latest collections and enjoys running, ice skating and partying! She is also interested in making and designing clothes as well as buying them and has taken several courses in pattern design for Womenswear. A few years ago she ran her own small business making and selling shorts and lounge pants which she hopes to restart soon.  She loves visiting new places and would love to travel to France to improve her French and learn more about the culture and fashion. She thoroughly enjoyed being Deputy Editor for the Fashion and Beauty team in her second year so is very excited to be part of the inspirational HCX team for a third year.