HCX Review: Footlights’ The Phantom of the Opera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Phantom of the Opera is an astounding visual and musical masterpiece, and it is no wonder that it has been running on the West End since 1986. Jointly celebrating their thirtieth birthdays, it was only fitting that this year’s production by Footlights be the acclaimed show, and they did not disappoint.

It is certainly brave to attempt a show which is currently running in 8 countries and has been made into a movie, but Footlights rose to the challenge and brought the Phantom of the Paris Opera House to the stage of the Northcott Theatre. With complex lighting and staging, including strobe lights, haze machines and the expert use of mirrors alongside other appropriate props, the dramatic performance was effortlessly pulled off.  As soon as the curtain lifted and the orchestra began, it felt as though we were sitting in the velvet red seats of the Palais Garnier watching the Phantom propel Christine to stardom and orchestrate his own demise.

Produced by Amy Squires and Kelly Bray and directed by Daniela Parkes, the audience was transported into 19th Century Paris and due to the incredible talent of the cast; the crusade for Christine’s (Beth Cowley) love between Raoul (Fred Wheadon) and Phantom (Eoin McAndrew) was fantastically portrayed.

The cast, all charming and dedicated students, managed to bring about a gravitas in each character, which is sometimes absent even from West End performances. Comedic relief, in the form of the new managers of the Opera House, was smattered between the haunting duets and even more poignant solos of Christine and the Phantom.

One audience member, thrilled to be attending her first live performance of Phantom, said, “I really enjoyed it! In particular, I loved Pianji. He was so funny! My favourite song was definitely All I Ask of You, it was perfect.” With all performances sold-out, the production did not fail to meet expectations and the standing ovation was truly deserved.  

It has to be said that, despite some technical difficulties with microphones, the overall performance was remarkable. The actors, dancers, and production team completely transformed the show, transporting the audience to a different time and place altogether. One thing that should be taken into account is the youth of the cast, who are clearly unused to the types of challenges posed in Webber’s famous musical. The vocal performances were astounding and it is hard to believe that it was performed entirely by students. Of course, it is expected that the cast will be talented, but a few hidden stars were revealed. Footlights’ Firmin and Andre charged their characters with charisma and rapport, played phenomenally by David Ballard and Joey Saunders, and Carlotta, another comedic character, was just a bit too good to be the running joke of the musical, played by Harriet Doyle.

Overall, it was one of the best performances of a University society, and Footlights should be very proud indeed. I look forward to seeing what these wonderfully talented actors and actresses do next.

Photo Credits: Exeter University Footlights

When she isn't trying to come up with a witty biography, Amy studies History and International Relations at the University of Exeter, and blogs at www.theimportanceofbeingamy.wordpress.com She's a bit too into books and Netflix, misses her dog, Gustav, and generally makes a fool out of herself by referring to herself in the third person.