HCX Campus Celebrity: Stephen Strickland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week at Her Campus Exeter, we were lucky enough to catch up with one of this year’s Ultimate Frisbee Captains: Stephen Strickland. Sporty, social and a bit of a daredevil, Stephen has a huge presence on campus and we couldn’t wait to find out more about the man behind the frisbee…

Course: English Literature 

Year: 3rd

So frisbee is quite an unusual sport! How did you get into it?

I got into ultimate frisbee in my first year. I really enjoyed it and so went on to become publicity sec in my second year and started playing on the firsts team. I guess I just really loved the people in the club and being apart of such an awesome team! 

It definitely sounds like a lot of fun! Do you have any plans for the society this year as captain? 

Well so far it’s been about getting as many member sign ups as possible! We’ve just hit 120 which we are really happy about! Training up newcomers to as high a standard as possible is also a strong club aim. 

Very impressive! Sounds like you’ll have a very strong team! But what’s the other side of the frisbee club? We bet you have loads of funny stories to tell us! 

There’s quite a few inappropriate stories between me and Mike (the other club captain) but I should probably leave those out! There is this story from first year where we were playing in a tournament in London and started playing odds on. We walked past a dead pigeon and I lost on a 1 in 80 odds and had to hold this dead pigeon which was covered in maggots for ten seconds.

Ewww! We don’t know if we could have done that! So when you’re not doing frisbee related things, what do you like to do around Exeter?

When I’m not frisbeeing I’m also playing football and squash, hanging out with friends, spending time with my girlfriend, playing piano and trying to pass an English degree

Wow! It’s fair to say you’re pretty busy then! What do you to wind down on a night out then?

A typical night out for me would end in Arena (Unit 1). I’ve never been much of a Timepiece fan although that might change this year with the club captain gold card!

A gold card? Ok we’re officially jealous! So as an experienced and knowledgeable third year, do you have any advice for first years who are just starting their uni experience (besides getting a Timepiece gold card of course)?

My advice to first years would be to get involved with lots of sports clubs and societies, and to try out as much new stuff as you can. It’s definitely the best year to be adventurous!

Great advice! We just have one more question to ask you as a third year. What is your favourite thing about Exeter that you plan to make the most of in your final year?

That’s really hard, I want to say both the people and the city itself. I’ve made some really amazing friends here and I’m definitely going to miss the stunning parts of campus and the city. I’m also definitely going to make the most of Ram curly fries while I’m still here…I’m going to miss them.

Sounds like a great plan to us! We think we might just join you…

Bethany is a third year english student studying at Exeter University and is the Fashion and Beauty Editor for Exeter's chapter of Her Campus. In between shopping for the latest trends and reading the latest celebrity gossip and fashion news, she enjoys working out and improving on her fitness. Bethany is also a keen photographer, often seen snapping photos of the night sky and friends. She dreams of travelling the world and discovering its couture, food and sites, and ultimately becoming a successful writer.