This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

N.B the advice in this article is not produced by a health professional.

Moving to uni is an exciting time, but with all this freedom to do what you want, healthy eating often takes a back seat and it’s easy to fall into unhealthy habits. I’m here to remind you that healthy eating does not have to mean living off salad bowls and stir-fries! Here are some easy tips which can be added into your routine which might help you stay healthier while you’re at uni.  

1. Meal Prep

Just to clarify, I don’t mean spending six hours cooking for the week on a Sunday! You’ve probably heard this lots already, but meal prepping has got to be one of the easiest ways to make sure you have a healthy meal in the evening. When browsing recipes, the portions are usually for 2-4 people and it can be difficult to cut this down for one person, especially when lots of foods are sold in large quantities. Instead of the pressure of cooking a whole meal every night, try cooking these larger recipes every few days. I find that freezing leftovers in portions works best because it lasts longer than refrigerating and you’re not having the same meal every night for the next few days. You can defrost them in advance or microwave them from frozen safely, so you don’t have to choose and defrost your meals in advance, which is great when you don’t have much time or like to be spontaneous with plans! 

2. Talk to your House / Flatmates

Making the effort to cook for one can be difficult, it’s so tempting to shove something from the freezer into the oven and call it a day. It’s always worth talking to your flatmates about cooking together, because you can rotate who cooks each night and it’s a lot more fun cooking for other people and it gives you a great opportunity to catch up with each other in the evenings. It also works out so much cheaper doing food shops together. Even if it’s a once-a-week occurrence, it encourages you to make fresh homecooked meals and be more experimental with food.

3. Make a Shopping List

Making a shopping list is essential to making sure you get everything you need in your weekly shop and don’t buy too much. Always eat before you go shopping. Shopping hungry is a nightmare and you’ll most likely buy more than you need. Make sure you plan meals for the whole week; if you have food waiting for you at home, you’re less likely to stop and grab a ready meal or order a takeaway and will ultimately encourage you to make healthier choices, and hopefully save you some money too.

4. Bring Lunch to Campus

Bringing your own lunch to campus is a great way to keep healthy and avoid spending unnecessarily. There are limited healthy options when you’re on the go, and if you’ve got a busy day, you want something healthy and fulfilling to keep you going through those lectures and seminars. Bringing leftovers is always a great idea, there are microwaves dotted around campus to heat food up so it’s like a freshly cooked meal! 

5. Snacks

It may seem counterproductive, but make sure you include snacks in your shopping list! Being on campus or out and about all day can be tiring, you want to keep your energy up and prevent your stomach from growling, especially during deadline season! Having a snack between meals can also help you not to overeat when you eventually do get round to having a meal. Always have healthy snacks in your bag so you can avoid impulse buying unhealthy or processed convenience food while you’re on the go. 

6. Eat a Good Breakfast

It can be really tempting to skip breakfast, especially when you’re in a rush, but it is so important that you refuel your body in the morning. Breakfast has many health benefits, not only does it provide you with the nutrients that you need for the day, but it can help with energy levels in the morning and can improve concentration. On top of that, there are so many amazing, tasty breakfast options for you to try, you’re only missing out if you skip it!

7. Listen to your body – if you’re hungry you should eat!

As important it is to eat a healthy diet and fuel your body in the best way you can, it’s equally important to listen to your body. Every body is different and has different requirements, nobody knows your body better than you. How much food you need to keep your energy up may be completely different to your friends and that’s nothing to worry about. Eat healthy foods but don’t forget to include your favourite treats in your diet, it’s all about balance!

While maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important, you can’t forget to enjoy yourself. Uni can be a stressful time, so allow yourself to eat out with your friends, give yourself study snacks when things get stressful and be sure to treat yourself, and don’t feel guilty about it! 

Hey, I’m Anna. I’m a third year English student at the university of Exeter!