This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s biscuit week! The contestants got stuck in with marshmallow biscuits, custard creams and an amazingly realistic showstopper! From dough gate to two handshakes (well done Tasha and Josh), this week’s provided the classic Bake Off drama. However, it unfortunately all crumbled for Keith, who had to leave the tent.

In honour of biscuit week, I am sharing with you a recipe for my favourite biscuit – the humble cookie! This recipe is actually my boyfriend’s but it is so delicious that I had to share it with all you! There is a perfect balance of a crispy outside and gooey centre, which is created by a unique shaping method. This cookie has powerful flavours of ginger and cinnamon which compliment the sweetness of the chocolate really well. However if you prefer a more subtle flavour, I recommend halving the spices used.

Ingredients:

• 110g Butter (softened)
  • 160g Caster Sugar
  • 85g Brown Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 110g Plain Flour
  • 65g Self-Raising Flour
  • ½ tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 ½ tsp Ginger
  • 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
  • 75g Chocolate Chunks (I chopped a bar of 75% dark chocolate into small pieces)
  • A Pinch of Salt

Method:

1. Start by beating the softened butter until smooth.
  2. Add the sugars to the butter and cream together.
  3. Beat the egg in a small bowl or cup using a fork.
  4. Once the butter and sugar mixture is light and fluffy, add the egg and beat again.
  5. In a separate bowl, weigh out the dried ingredients and mix so they are thoroughly combined.
  6. Stir the chocolate chunks into the dried ingredients.
  7. A spoonful at a time, add the dried ingredients to the butter, sugar, and egg mix, stirring after each addition.
  8. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill, ideally overnight but one hour is fine if you are short on time or are too impatient to try these amazing cookies!
  9. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
  10. Roll the dough into 12 evenly sized balls.
  11. Cut each ball in half.
  12. On a lined baking tray, place the curved sides together and, without squishing the centre too much, bring the dough to meet at the edges. This will mean the cookies aren’t quite as flat as you would expect, but don’t worry – this is essential to achieving the perfect texture!
  13. Cook in the oven for 12 minutes.
  14. When the cookies are golden, remove them from the oven and enjoy!
Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.