Frill Me: Four Ways to Wear Ruffles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The SS13 catwalk was inundated with daring trends and one of the trickiest to pull off was probably ruffles. In the past, ruffles have not been for the faint-hearted: they can very fussy and unflattering if you don’t wear them in the right way, and a bodycon dress has often been a much safer alternative. But here at Her Campus we’re all about stepping outside the box, and we’ve put together four different looks incorporating some flirty frills. So whether you’re ultra-feminine, or a bit of a rock chick, there’s a ruffle for you. The summer catwalk proved that ruffles are very versatile, and can be worn for any occasion from day to night. It’s time to trade in the heavy leather skirts, and peplum tops for some fun frills, and floaty chiffon that will catch the summer breeze and keep you looking on trend, whether you’re on campus or at an event.

Feminine and Floaty

There are lots of events and balls at the end of term, so why not incorporate this trend into your outfit? Princess ruffles are a classic look, and the catwalk featured some gorgeous romantic dresses such as on this one on the Zac Posen runway.

To achieve this look, go for soft chiffon fabrics and nude colours: it’s all about being understated. This Lipsy dress (£120) is the perfect example: the simple ruffles make it super romantic and flattering, while the sheer panel is a subtle flirty touch. If you’re a girly girl, it’s a great way to wear ruffles. If you want something less formal, this skirt from Miss Selfridge (£39) is very floaty and soft, and is the perfect alternative to a formal dress.

[pagebreak]

Friday Night Frill

If you want to make a statement on a night out, go for a piece with more structured ruffles a la Gucci.

Block colours and striking frills are great for standing out on the dance floor and looking sophisticated. If you’re a curvy girl, this red dress from Lipsy (£48) will look fantastic: the asymmetric ruffle is clean, structured and won’t overwhelm you, whilst the simple skirt will flatter your figure. If you want to wear separates, this white top (Asos, £19) is a really striking and very versatile.

[pagebreak]

Ruff and Ready

You might think that ruffles are too over the top for the daytime, but the SS13 Isabel Marant catwalk proved that you can definitely work this trend into your everyday look.

The high street has got lots of similar tops to make your daywear more interesting. Wear this pretty pastel top (Asos £25) with some light jeans or shorts to capture the mood of the catwalk look.

[pagebreak]

Rock a Ruffle

Finally, don’t make the mistake of thinking ruffles have to be soft and romantic. Burberry was rocking some fabulous gothic jewel separates that incorporate the trend seamlessly.

For this look, stick to dark lace, heavier fabrics whilst mixing and matching your textures. This leotard from Miss Selfridge (£26) is a great top to build an outfit around: the layered ruffles have a much edgier feel and would look suitably rock chick with a leather skirt. If you want to add some summer colours into the mix, try some metallic accessories to lift the outfit. Hopefully we’ve proved that ruffles are more wearable than you think, and are a fun trend to wear into the summer!

Picture Credits

http://www.clashmusic.com/fashion/springsummer-13-ruffles#view-gallery-image-15

http://djursh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/waves-of-ruffles-trend-springsummer-2013.html

www.pinterest.com

www.asos.com

http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/d…

www.missselfridge.com

Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.