kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Food Focus: Devonshire House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you are a fresher that loves eating out for food or like those of us returning for a second, third or god forbid fourth year at Exeter, like myself, there are a few new food places that have popped up on Campus – great for foodie lovers!

As you walk into Devonshire House, after carefully resisting the temptation of chips from the Ram, or a cheeky Frappuccino from Costa, you are greeted by the tantalising smells and sounds of FOOD.

First we have The Caravan, a cute shake bar open 8am to 7pm, perfect for the pre lecture ‘Streatham Sunset’ smoothie or the post-work out peanut butter and banana froyo shake. Reasonably priced at £2.50 – £2.95, it’s a handy place to grab a day time drink with a friend or to catch up with some work in the newly decorated seating area.

The stall next door is ¡Comida! a Mexican joint, whipping out a selection of street food from burritos to tortillas, cakes and coffee. There are plenty of vegetarian options available, with most dishes being made-to-order.

If you head on upstairs you come across the Terrace Restaurant, already a firm favourite for more of a sit down meal, but they have really branched out this year. Offering dishes from Hot Wok Noodles to Old El Paso Mexican there is plenty to choose from. They offer a student meal deal for £5.50 where you get a main, a snack and a drink so pop in between 11am to 2.30pm to grab one of the best seats. We warn you, it gets pretty busy! There is a greeaaaat outdoor terrace up here, if you want to kick back with a nice lunch and some friends or just do a spot of people watching whilst catching some sunshine.

Last and not least, in place of the beloved Long Lounge café there is now, wait for it, Pieminister. For great times with pies head here. Delicious classic pies, such as the ‘Kate & Sidney’ a real ale steak and kidney pie, or the ‘Matador’ a beef steak, chorizo, olive and butter bean heaven. For something a little less heavy try from their lighter range, all pies less than 440 calories with tasty bites like ‘light as feta’ a butternut squash, feta & sundried tomato pie. Pies are served with mushy peas, the best mashed potato you will ever eat and lashings of gravy. The best hangover cure, or mid-week treat is to be had here open 8am to 7pm on week days.

Devonshire House itself has been under a revamp, so it’s now a nice place to chill out, grab something to eat, have group meetings or get some work done. There is seating both inside (try to nab one of the extremely comfy bean bags at the back!) and outside, so you can soak up the last of the summer maybe with a froyo vanilla latte in hand.

We at HCX will definitely be trying out and enjoying all the new food places on campus! 

photo credits: 

http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/wp/wordpress/devonshire-house-set-for-summer-refu…

pieminster.co.uk