bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness Class of the Week: Cardio Tennis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Tennis Society is one of the biggest sports societies at Exeter University, so I went along to try their cardio tennis class. The society runs cardio tennis three times a week, Monday, Thursday and Friday. Following a heavy Timepiece the night before, I somewhat apprehensively headed up to the covered tennis courts to attend the Thursday class. Despite my original dread it proved itself not only as a great fitness class but a very valid hangover cure.

Do not be put off by the fact it is a cardio ‘tennis’ class. I am by no means a great tennis player but the instructors assured me that “Any standard of tennis is welcome, the standard ranges from complete beginner to fairly advanced but it is more about improving fitness, having fun and moving to music then improving tennis skills, anyone can do it.”

With the loud pumping music and constant drills the instructors will have you sweating in no time. The class begins with a quick warm up, then music starts and you’re off. Whether you are attempting (attempting being the operative word) a ferocious backhand, struggling through a round of burpies, or running from one side of the court to the other you are constantly moving until the hour-long session is up. Don’t expect time to catch your breath. The great thing about it being combined with playing tennis is that you are so preoccupied with thinking about hitting the ball (singing along to the music in my case) that the fact you are embarrassingly red in the face and out of breath becomes a mere secondary thought.

The class consists many different drills all designed to keep you continually moving with short, frequent bursts of intensity. What level of fitness is required for cardio tennis? The instructors set up the drills but it is essentially up to you to chose how hard you work, as with anything you get out of it what you put into it. Saying that, the instructors do encourage you to push yourself beyond your limits and push through the burn/hangover. Interspersed between the tennis shots there are different exercises, which target different areas of the body depending on the week (and the how harsh the instructors are feeling). The class I attended focused on biceps and triceps, so between burpies and press-ups my arms were definitely feeling it the next day.

I would recommend this class to anyone who wants to improve their overall fitness and tone up in a friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be back.

Image Credits: thefreelancewriterblog.blogspot.com, fitzpiration.com, cardiotennis.com

An Irish 2nd year student, studying psychology and Italian at the University of Exeter, with a love of sports, healthy food and anything outdoorsy!