Reviewing Exeter University Shakespeare Company’s ‘The Two Gentlemen of Verona’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Fancy an action packed summer holiday to 1960’s Milan? Well, you wouldn’t be the first, and you’re certainly not the last either.

I definitely did fancy such shenanigans. And this desire was both fulfilled whilst simultaneously quenching my thirst for Shakespeare by Exeter Uni’s Shakespeare Company. Jack Williams’ production of ‘The Two Gentlemen of Verona‘ can boast having perfectly timed laughs throughout, a charming cast depicting nuanced characters and a complex tale of friendship, love and betrayal.

Even if one isn’t well-versed in the lore behind Two Gentlemen or anything Shakespeare-related, there’s still so much to love about this adaptation of Shakespeare’s classic. The cast were full of boundless energy, mirrored by the 60’s style and incredibly 60’s in vibe (very much live and alive!!) soundtrack, with amazing comedic timing and made Shakespeare’s wit come alive on stage. This adaptation really added a vibrancy and modern touch to the play, which is needed given that heavy themes are very much dealt with!

As part of the audience, I was personally made to feel as though I was first-hand experiencing the streets of Italy and the token Italian bar alongside the characters, feeling both their anguish and celebrating their successes. The atmosphere was particularly brought alive by the live band performing, filling the stage with classic 60’s tunes throughout. I mean who isn’t at least a little bit of a fan of Brown Eyed Girl and California Dreamin’?

The story follows two gentlemen of Verona, who as we learn have some ungentlemanly ideas about love and honour. Both gentlemen fall for the same lady, which as one could gather doesn’t play out smoothly. The idea of doing just about anything in the search of love allows for the character Proteus to become a wickedly charming anti-hero (shameless Taylor Swift reference). Harrison Locke emphasised both Proteus’ charm and confidence. Yet, what was especially well executed was displaying his struggle with his morals surrounding love and friendship perfectly, i.e. with caution not to make Proteus into just a clichéd anti-hero, but a complex character with conflicting ideals and moral standards.

The other gentleman of this tale is Valentine and as his name would suggest, he falls devastatingly in love with Silvia. On a purely sincere level Ben Lewin brought vulnerability to Valentine. Yet the nature of the character, enhanced by Lewin’s performance, allowed for the audience to do what they do best: laugh at a lovesick fool’s heartache.

Something highlighted by ShakeCo’s production of Two Gentlemen is the timeless nature of Shakespeare’s work and art. The play feels modern, and tastefully so, yet manages to still acknowledge the original work and just how relevant the plot can be today. Bringing Two Gentlemen forward in time, i.e. to the 60’s, was an interesting creative decision. Yet, this was particularly well executed and brought to light just how captivating and complex human beings remain to be. Whilst adaptations of Shakespeare’s plays have cemented themselves well into pop culture, specifically in relation to modern rom-coms, this stage adaptation feels just as fresh as it does nostalgic, given the time period in which it is, in a fairly subtle way, set.

This play was beautifully acted throughout, carefully balancing comedic elements of the play whilst still pulling at your heartstrings with monologues that capture the hardship of unrequited love. Indeed, ShakeCo’s production often left the room full of laughter, with each character being comedic in their own right and the actors’ performances bringing Shakespeare’s work to life and capturing the audience’s hearts with the amazing acting, production and music.

There’s not much more you could want from a student-led and a production with a fairly low budget, as Williams’ Two Gentlemen continuously hits, even exceeds, the mark. As far as performances go, this felt beyond just a university performance. Each character was exceptionally well constructed by both the creative team and the actors who brought them to life through their dedication to bring a sort of freshness to the original material.

Top-class performances from each cast member helped carry the play. And honestly, what’s not to like about an audience-friendly and approachable adaptation of Shakespeare, in addition to a cuddly dog, a sneaky Twilight reference and some 60’s outfits I was very jealous of!

This production was a whole load of fun to witness, with buckets of humour beautifully contrasted with sincere performances. Be warned, though, that those catchy songs you hear throughout will end up in your head for days!

I’m truly excited for more ShakeCo performances in the future, as this left my mind and heart overwhelmingly full with love, moral questions and dilemmas and a brand-new hyper-fixation centred around 60’s music and aesthetics. What an amazing performance! Ciao Bella!

Abi Manley

Exeter '25

Hi, I'm Abi! I'm a Sociology student who loves reading, music and cooking.