stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The End of Botox Parties?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Leading doctors have called this week for an end to botox parties, and stricter regulations over the administration of cosmetic surgery.

These days, it is increasingly easy to change the way your face looks. A quick google of botox suggests a number of options: there are the registered clinics, the celebrity experiences, the articles outlining the pros and cons. Then there are the websites advertising mobile botox services and at-home parties. It is these kinds of services which the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) want to be banned, arguing that they are ‘wholly incompatible‘ with professional standards. They advise that only qualified medical professionals – such as doctors, nurses and dentists – should be allowed to carry out cosmetic procedures, and only on premises where resuscitation equipment is available in case of emergency.

‘Botox parties’ or ‘filler parties’ are sold as an opportunity for a group of people to have botox in the comfort of their own homes, and involve a beautician providing the treatment at a generally discounted price. In today’s economic climate, they are increasing in popularity – a ComRes poll of 1,762 people showed that the cost of surgery was more of a priority than the qualifications of the person performing it. However the RCS is concerned about the level of after-care provided, and the language used to sell such products to patients.

In a statement, president of the RCS, Professor Norman Williams said: “We have serious concerns that not all those who offer cosmetic procedures are adequately qualified, or that patients are getting accurate information prior to treatment.” The organisation wants practitioners not to tell patients that they will look ‘better’ or ‘nicer’ after cosmetic surgery; instead, words such as ‘bigger’ and ‘smaller’ should be used so as not to influence those undergoing treatment one way or the other.

The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), an organisation representing around one third of plastic surgeons in Britain, agrees with the need for stricter controls over the industry. According to BAAPS, it represents only qualified and vetted surgeons – but cannot speak for the other two thirds of practising cosmetic surgeons. In 2011, it was estimated that 669,711 cosmetic procedures were carried out in the UK – 43,172 of which were performed by BAAPS members. Botox ranks highly in popularity, with 200,000 anti-wrinkle injections being given in the UK yearly according to the Independent Healthcare Advisory Service.

Causing additional concern is the availability of DIY plastic surgery kits – such as lip fillers and collagen injections. These can be bought online at the click of a button, and the side effects can be disastrous. In 2004, Dr Bach McComb – who had recently been struck off the medical register – left himself and 3 others in a serious medical condition after using an imitation botox available online. Although a severe case, problems caused by unlicensed surgeons seem to be an increasing problem. In November 2012, BAAPS reported that 69% of surgeons surveyed saw complications resulting from temporary fillers, whilst 49% reported issues arising from semi- or permanent fillers. The reasons for this were cited as including a lack of regulation, and the administration of botox by unqualified practitioners.

With anti-wrinkle treatments becoming increasingly commonplace, when administered properly it seems that problems are rare. The call for new guidelines would see the end of Botox Parties. HCX wonders – what do you think of the trend for at home plastic surgery, and should beauticians be banned from administering such cosmetic procedures?

Image Credits: itv.com, huffingtonpost.com, blogs.palmbeachpost.com