This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Next up in our series of autumnal recipes is a teatime classic. Carrot cake makes a delicious treat and is a simple bake to try if you have been inspired by GBBO. It is perfectly light and fluffy and best enjoyed on the same day as baking. This is perfect to make on a chilled Saturday afternoon with your friends or housemates and the results are delicious!

Ingredients:

Carrot Cake:

• 50g walnuts (plus extra for decorating)
  • 225g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 60g sultanas
  • Zest of an orange
  • 3 eggs
  • 180g butter
  • 120g maple syrup or honey
  • 360g carrots
  • Pinch of salt

Cream Cheese Frosting:

• 500g cream cheese
  • 40g honey
  • 1tsp cinnamon (plus any extra for decorating)
  • Chopped walnuts to decorate

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C and grease and line 2 x 18cm round cake tins.  
  2. Start by chopping the walnuts and mix with the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sultanas and orange zest in a medium bowl.
  3. Crack the eggs into a small bowl or jug and beat until bubbly.
  4. Gently melt the butter in the microwave and then combine this with the eggs and maple syrup/honey in a large bowl.
  5. Grate the carrots and add to the large bowl with the wet ingredients, mixing until combined.
  6. Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until all the flour has disappeared into the mixture.
  7. Equally divide the cake batter between the two tins and cook for about 35 minutes or until a skewer or knife comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
  8. Once the cakes have cooled, whisk the cream cheese with the honey and 1 tsp of cinnamon.
  9. Using a palette knife spread just less than half of the cream cheese on one of the cakes and place the other cake on top of this. Half the cream cheese mixture again and spread this on the top layer of the cake. Place the rest of the cream cheese in a pipping bag and using a star-nozzle, pipe around the circumference of the cake. Sprinkle some cinnamon in the centre and top with more chopped walnuts.
  10.  Cut into slices and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.