This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We hear warnings of the dangers of high cholesterol on the news, in magazines and TV shows every day – heck, you are even hearing it on Her Campus now – but how many of us are aware of the real facts and dangers? About 60% of people in the UK have high cholesterol levels and as a result have an increased chance of developing heart disease. As Heart UK’s National Cholesterol Week began on the 14th of October, Her Campus have put together some tips to help lower and keep cholesterol levels down! 

Sciencey Stuff

What exactly is cholesterol? It’s a fatty substance produced in the liver, essential for cell membranes and the production of hormones. A proportion comes from our diet, for example eggs and prawns, which are a source of dietary cholesterol, but this is not the main culprit for increasing cholesterol levels – it is the intake of saturated fat that’s to blame.

Cholesterol cannot travel in the blood alone and has to bind to a lipoprotein, of which there are two types: LDL (low density lipoprotein) and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) dubbed “good” and “bad” cholesterol, respectively. LDL is associated with cholesterol deposits in the arteries causing atherosclerosis, whereas HDL is responsible for transporting it from the arteries back to the liver. It makes sense then to try and lower your levels of LDL and increase your levels of HDL – and here are some ways to do it!     

Fats: The Good and Bad

The basis of high cholesterol for the majority of people is their high intake of saturated fats, from foods like butter, cheese, cakes and biscuits, fatty cuts of meat and of course a students’ favourite, fast food. I know what you are thinking, and I’m not saying you can never have these foods (as let’s face it, who could live without chocolate?), we just have to eat them in moderation. Making simple food choices can lower your intake of saturated fat. Try cooking with olive oil instead of butter, using skimmed milk instead of whole milk, choosing lean meats like turkey over sausages and bacon… And yes ladies, you may want to rethink your beloved Timepiece burger. 

Contrary to popular belief, not all fat is bad; oily fish, lean meats, seeds and nuts contain mono-saturated fats and omega 3 and 6. Omega 3 is particularly helpful and is found to increase the levels of good HDL cholesterol in the blood and help clear fatty deposits.

[pagebreak]

Foods That Help

Vitamins C and B3: Vitamin C can be found in broccoli, carrots and oranges and has been proven to inhibit excessive cholesterol production and reduce the amount of cholesterol deposits in the arteries. Many vegetables including mushrooms, cabbage and asparagus contain vitamin B3 (niacin) which is found to increase the levels of good cholesterol.

Soluble Fibre: Soluble fibre attracts water in your intestines and forms a gel-like substance that is believed to stick to cholesterol and prevent its absorption, therefore lowering cholesterol levels in the blood. Porridge oats have a particularly high amount of soluble fibre, as do pulses such as beans and lentils, fruit and vegetables.

Plant sterols: Another simple replacement is by choosing spreads such as Benecol and Flora Pro activ which are now fortified with plant sterols and stenols due to their beneficial cholesterol lowering effects.  

Overall, the textbook definition of a “healthy balanced diet” is important for maintaining heart health. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats to get all the essential minerals and vitamins that are needed to keep you healthy, while avoiding high saturated fat and salt content.

Stop Smoking

The damaging effects of smoking on your lungs and respiratory system are well known, but did you know it also has an effect on raising your cholesterol levels? Cigarette smoking can oxidise fats, including cholesterol and once damaged becomes harder to remove from the arteries. Closing point: smoking is bad for you (as if you haven’t been told enough already).

Keep Moving

Exercise is the name of the game when it comes to health and is very much the case when it comes to lowering your cholesterol. This does not mean you need to join a gym or take up daily spin classes, just 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity a week is enough to see an improvement. Those of you who have to walk up cardiac hill once a day, I think you might have this one covered!   

Knowledge Is Power

The most valuable piece of advice is to get checked out, no matter your age, size or gender. It is a myth that only older overweight people get high cholesterol, many outwardly healthy people are at risk. So ask your doctor for a test, see where you stand and make those small changes today.  

Click here to find out more about National Cholesterol Week and the Heart UK charity. To find out more about the dangers of high cholesterol and how to reduce it, click here .

Picture credits: www.pininterest.com, www.heartuk.org.uk  

In my third year studying biological sciences - I can't believe it's almost over!