Blog: Glute Exercises for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Every girl dreams of having the perfect bum, and here at HCX we want to help you achieve your peachy goals! Training glutes is actually pretty simple, you can even do them at home. So try repeating these 4 exercises twice a week and start to see results!

Clams

Clams are great because you need to lay on your side while you do them, so it’s the perfect glute exercise for the lazy uni girl. The movement is simple, you lay on your side with your ankles together, legs bent upwards, and pivot at the hip so the top leg comes apart then back to the other knee. Repeat this laying on the other side with the opposite leg for 10 reps on each 3 sets in total. Not only do clams work the glutes, they also work the inner thighs, so try these twice a week to get the best results.

Pulsing squats

These squats are a slight variation on the standard to focus on the glute muscles. The exercise is really simple; all you need to do is stand with your legs just wider than shoulder width, and keeping your back straight, bend down into a squat. It’s here that it varies from the normal squat- instead of coming all the way up, you pulse at the bottom to feel the burn in your bum. Try 3 sets of 15 reps to get yourself a killer booty! If you are slightly more advanced and/or have access to a gym, try developing the movement and holding a weight, as shown in the picture.

Donkey kicks

Donkey kicks are super simple and when done properly can make your booty GROW! Preferably on a mat, position yourself on your hands and knees. One leg at a time, keeping your knee slightly bent, kick back, then slowly bring your leg back down. What’s great about donkey kicks is not only do they burn your glutes, you are actually working your core and back as well. So try 15 reps on each leg for 3 sets to tone up your whole body. If you have access to gym equipment, try using some ankle strap weights to add some intensity.

Lunges

Lunges actually primarily target the quadriceps, but they really tone up the glutes as well. Lunges are a simple and easy exercise to do at home, as many of you have probably done them before in P.E, all those years ago! Standing up straight, step your leg forward and bend both legs down, so your opposite leg’s knee is nearly touching the ground, but not quite. Raise back up then repeat on the other leg. Try 10 reps on each leg for 3 sets to get toned glutes and quads! Again, if you’re feeling clever, try holding a dumbbell in each hand to make it harder.

We hope these give you some inspo to get fit and have fun whilst doing it!

I am a second year student studying Politics with Sociology at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for exercise, fitness, and writing.