rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Are you stressed? I’m stressed.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at Current Affairs, we’re stressed; deadlines are approaching, revision is looming and that final exam seems painfully far away. We’re guessing we’re not the only ones feeling this right now and so thought we would share our Top 5 Tips to avoiding an academic-induced breakdown;

1. Fresh Air

This is important for 2 reasons,  first off, fresh air is good for the soul! Going for a walk in the fresh air is like going on a juice cleanse, your body feels lighter, you become more motivated and it allows your head space to clear! Secondly, it instigates positivity, being cooped up inside for days upon end is really quite depressing, so get out and go for a stroll, maybe even treat yourself to a Twister if the sun is shining (other ice creams are available, but personally, I would recommend the Twister).

1. Sleep

Oldest trick in the book, nothing special to say here: if you don’t sleep you are guaranteed to crash and burn … not literally, but like, it won’t be pretty. No way can your brain and body work at optimal level if you’re starving it of rest, proper, screen and noise free, rest!

1. A mindful space

While there are exceptions, and some crazy smart people seem to discover miraculous things in cubby holes crammed with books, for most us regular Joes, we gonna need some organisation up in here. Trust me, a clear desk, with everything just where you want it, will make your creative juices flow like a dream. Plus, it means you can procrastinate a little at the beginning of every study sesh, bingo!

1. Social breaks

TALK TO PEOPLE! Now, this is coming from a chronic chatterbox, so I’m aware not all people crave a good natter quite as much as myself, but jokes aside try not to isolate yourself. Try coordinating your coffee breaks; it takes your mind off your work, making them more enjoyable and will probably give you some comfort in that everyone is just as stressed out as you are, but y’all gonna be okay.

1. Perspective

Finally, probably the hardest, but definitely the most important tip, step back and look at the task in front of you from a broader perspective. This isn’t to say don’t take it seriously, but just remember this is not life or death, as much as it may feel like it at the time. If this path doesn’t take you quite where you thought it would, there will always be another door to open! Just give it ya best shot and be at peace with whatever the outcome may be. 

I'm Claudia, a third year Politics student at the University of Exeter, who loves all things Her Campus!