Are Relationships Bad For Your Health?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Taylor Swift, the premier source of knowledge of all things boy related, recently lamented ‘I knew you were trouble when you walked in’. She was rumoured to be singing about either John Mayer or Harry Styles, who both did indeed later go on to break poor Swifty’s heart. So does Tay Tay have a point? Are boys more trouble than they’re worth?

The Dating Game can be stressful. First there is the ‘panic’ some girls feel over being single, and feeling like there is nobody in the whole world who could put up with your ever growing shoe collection or weird obsession with Eddie Redmayne. Then comes the complicated inner workings of texting once you’ve swapped numbers with that guy on your course. Even when all of this goes swimmingly, you are faced with the relationship itself. Very naturally, in every relationship there are ups and downs, and there are always going to be times when things seem pretty tough. So what can we do about all this stress?

The old wives tale ‘a problem shared is a problem halved’ seems pretty appropriate here. Crack open a bottle of wine, bring out the big guns, our old friend chocolate, and have a chat with the girls. The serotonin in chocolate acts as an anti-depressant and gossiping has been proven to release endorphins- you can’t go wrong! Or try distracting yourself from any anxiety you might have with all the wonderful things Exeter has to offer. Why not try out the Picture House for armchairs and arty films you can’t see anywhere else in the city? Or head down to the Quay for a picturesque walk to blow all your cobwebs, and hopefully stress, away.

[pagebreak]

Boys (or anyone you’re in a sexual relationship with) can also have a pretty bad impact on your physical health– we’re talking anything from small viruses to more serious STIs. In ‘Mean Girls’, Coach Carr panics ‘don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant and die!’ Obviously his fear is a little extreme, but it’s easy to get carried away and not use protection. Sexually Transmitted Infections are sadly all too common. According to the Health Protection Agency (HPA), young people are most at risk of contracting an STI; out of the 482,696 new cases diagnosed at sexual health clinics last year, two thirds were among females aged 15-24. That’s us. Chlamydia is the most common STI with 1 in 15 young women reported to have it. You can get chlamydia through sexual contact with someone- that means oral as well as regular sex, and it can be obtained even if there is no ejaculation. Chlamydia is so worrying because it’s known as the ‘silent disease’- there are often few symptoms, yet can go on to damage your sexual organs irreparably. The pill or coil are great ways of protecting against any unwanted pregnancies, but using a condom is the only sure fire way to prevent any STIs causing long term effects on your body.

Picture the scene– you and your partner have gone out for dinner and eaten an amazing meal- maybe you tried a big pasta dish, followed by an indulgent chocolaty dessert. They stay over and you make brunch- French toast with cinnamon on top is always a winner. It’s raining, as it always does in Exeter, and as a result you don’t want to go food shopping and the fridge is empty. The only option is to order in a delicious takeaway to share. Sounds like a pretty perfect weekend! The only problem arises when this becomes a regular occurrence, and once, twice, maybe three times a week you are eating huge amounts of food to keep up with your guy, who is naturally built to eat more than you. 

So what’s the solution? Of course HCX isn’t saying don’t treat yourself (and your boy) every now and again, but everything in moderation is our motto. We’re not advocating eating like rabbits to fit with a particular ‘image’, but if you’ve eaten something a little less than healthy when out for dinner together, why not make an omelette or some porridge for the two of you to share the next morning? Or cook together and make a delicious stir fry or bolognaise- it’s good for you, plus you get some fun one on one time with your guy. The problem of food can also arise if you are a single lady. If you fancy a night in, sometimes all you are craving is a bar of chocolate or some sugary sweets. And again, while that’s not a biggie every once in a while, if this becomes your go to treat, you might have a cavity or two to contend with.

Spending time with a guy you like can be one of the most exciting things, so try to put your stress about it on a back burner, be careful and eat reasonably for most of the time, and your boy induced illness should be on the mend!  

STD Statistics source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news…

Image Credits: jennyeatwellsrhubarbginger.blogspot.co.uk, divinelove.co.za, pinterest.com