This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With talk of getting back to the gym and ‘dry January’ in the air, Her Campus Exeter thought we’d provide you fashionistas with some alternative New Years Resolutions to stick to in 2014. Now exam period is well and truly over, we can get back to what’s really important this year… Clothes, shoes, make-up and more clothes! 

Thou Shalt…BE MORE DARING

If you’re like me and a serial monochrome lover, you hardly ever venture out of your beloved black, white and grey outfits. However, this is the year to embrace colour, prints and bold make-up! Brightening up an outfit with a statement bag or shoes will really update your look and transition your style effortlessly from Winter to Spring. HCX are loving beautiful warm orange shades to make you stand out (in a good way!) on campus.

Thou Shalt…MAKE MORE EFFORT

Now is the time to ditch the onesie’s and outfits completely made up of Exeter stash to smarten up for 2014. If you’re in your final year, this is also a great way to prepare yourself and slowly get used to the idea of work clothes and not dressing like you’ve just got out of bed. Of course, we’re not suggesting donning full on suits to lectures, but a more put together approach to fashion is way more stylish. Try acid wash jeans with a structured blazer to ooze sophistication.

Thou Shalt… STAY ON TREND

With Spring round the corner,  Her Campus Exeter have been following the latest trends for the beginning of this season to give you a heads-up! Candy pink was the colour to wear last year, and pastels seem to be here to stay as catwalks are showing a lot of lilac and mint for the Spring season. The jackets you all should be wearing come Easter should be cropped and boxy, or alternatively, if this isn’t hipster enough for you, try a bomber jacket, which are again being revived. Wide trousers are big this year – try yours with a simple strappy top and bright heels to elongate your legs further.

Thou Shalt… ACCESSORISE

We all know the benefits of a statement necklace; it transforms the most dullest of dresses, and allows you to wear the same LBD each week without it looking the same. Now we must seize this same transformative opportunity but apply it to shoes, bags, bracelets etc… Bringing out some leopard print shoes, a chunky watch or a gorgeous gold belt can completely change your outfit and help you experiment more with your style.

Thou Shalt…DRESS FOR MY BODY

Although some of us are blessed with Miranda Kerr’s body, a lot of us aren’t (which is PERFECTLY normal, let me tell you) and therefore we should dress for what flatters our body shape. If you have been blessed with an ample chest and womanly hips, a la Kimmy K,  find dresses and tops that cinch you in at the waist to emphasise it. If you have a boyish figure, create the illusion of curves with peplum style outfits. If you are a pear shape, A-line skirt styles are the best to skim over your hips and thighs whereas if you’re more of an apple, try a shift dress. Whatever shape you are, there are beautiful styles to suit you!

Image credits: weheartit.com; pinterest.com; emmaforsberg.com

Olivia Wilkerson is a third year Business Economics student and is very excited to take up her role as Fashion and Beauty Deputy Editor of Her Campus Exeter this year! Alongside her degree, she loves catching up with the latest trends by reading numerous magazines and blogs and uses this as inspiration for her own fashion and fitness blog which she has recently started. Fitness is important to her, so you may see her down the local gym working a sweat or at the local health food store (there's a great one on Well Street!) buying lots of lovely treats!This summer, Olivia will be going to the South of France to relax and scout out the St Tropez style icons as well as braving the potentially incredibly muddy fields of Glastonbury! As she is studying Spanish as part of her degree, she is also aiming to undertake an intensive course in Barcelona for a week, before returning to Exeter to study hard for third year! She hopes that working for Her Campus Exeter will allow her to meet lots of wonderful like-minded girls and to further develop HCX to make it the best it can be.