5 Ingredients to Make Your Porridge Amazing!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of year again: cold, rain, and (maybe) snow. The onset of autumn has decorated the campus grounds in a mosaic of leaves, crunching underneath your feet as you trudge up to class. The winds howl as you draw your thick, wooly sweater closer to your body, shivering in the already dropping temperatures. On these days, when autumn resonates strongest and the raindrops seep into your shoes, forming puddles between your toes; we would all just rather stay in bed

But we all know that sometimes you just absolutely do have to get out of bed (at the last possible minute, of course) for that lecture or that gym class. So when you do slip out from underneath your warm duvet, stay warm with a delicious bowl of porridge. Here are 5 ingredients to make your porridge amazing! 

1. Dates 

Dates are a great way to add sweetness to your porridge bowl without actually adding sugar. These gooey, sticky whole foods taste just like caramel, and make for a delicious bowl of porridge! Dates are also a great source of vitamin B6, potassium, copper, manganese, and magnesium. Just chop up 2-3 dates and pop them in with your oats and milk/water. It’s date-licious!

2. Raw Cacao 

While chocolate does not provide the best nutritional profile, raw cacao powder sure does pack a punch. The unprocessed version of cocoa, raw cacao is rich in anti-oxidants and boosts your mood! Adding it to your porridge in the morning, gives you that delicious chocolate flavor without all the nasties. Add 1-2 tsps. of raw cacao powder to your bowl and mix thoroughly. Hello warm, chocolaty goodness!

3. Fruit 

Get one of your 5 a day in at breakfast! There are so many different types of fruit; the possibilities are endless. Our recommendations: warm berries or apple. Either stir-in the berries (fresh or frozen) to your oats and milk, or heat them in the microwave and top your porridge. We also love adding a chopped apple with cinnamon to our oats and milk to get that warm wintery aroma.

4. Nut butter 

Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter. And the list goes on. You can’t go wrong with big spoonful of nut butter. Full of healthy fats and protein, these spreads are the perfect way to keep you satisfied until lunchtime. Just top your oats with 1 tsp. (or two) of your choice, and enjoy!

5. Chia seeds 

Chia seeds have become more popular recently, and for a good reason. These tiny seeds are super nutritious. One serving (28g) alone contains 11 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein! Sprinkle these little powerhouses onto your porridge in the morning and you’ll be guaranteed to rock your gym class.

Nicole is a final year International Relations student at the University of Exeter. When she isn't debating the world's latest humanitarian crisis, Nicole loves being active and travelling the world. She is an avid runner with multiple half marathons under her belt and enjoys skiing in the mountains of her home country, Switzerland. With over 30 countries ticked off, she hopes to continue discovering and exploring many more places around the world. Her favourite so far: Nepal! Furthermore, Nicole enjoys spending time in the kitchen, cooking and baking healthy meals and snacks. She even has her own Instagram handle (@theepicuriouskitchen) with a few thousand followers! Nicole can't wait to share all her health and fitness tips with you all.