kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Body Positive Influencers You Should Be Following

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.
Body-Posi Panda – @bodyposipanda

Megan Jane Crabbe, or @bodyposipanda on instagram, is a key influencer in the body positive movement on social media. Whilst suffering from anorexia, she was searching for ‘#thinspo’ pictures when she found a picture of a plus-size women in bikini who declared that she was fat and okay with it. Seeing women in a positive movement that promoted loving themselves no matter their size, helped Megan move through her disordered eating.

On a podcast with Russell Brand, Megan defines the body positive movement as one that “believes that all bodies are worthy of respect, are good enough and that nobody deserves go through life feeling awful about themselves because of their body.” I couldn’t agree more. Body positivity is an inclusive movement, where everyone is encouraged to love their body no matter what it looks like.

Megan fills her instagram with inspiring and positive messages that encourge us to remember than thin does not equal happy and that dancing around the kitchen in our underwear is something we should all do more!

Hannah Witton – @hannahwitton

Hannah Witton is a youtuber and a sex educator, who addresses topics that society deems too taboo. She is bubbly and full of life despite having gone through challenges with her physical health. Hannah has suffered for years with Ulcerative colitis and in the last 18 months has had part of her colon removed, leaving her with a stoma. Despite this, her positive attitude towards life never fails to inspire me to be more grateful and positive about the blessings I do have. 

Her YouTube videos and Instagram encourages us to accept our bodies no matter their shape, size, colour or if they’re affected by disability. She makes videos about her stoma and how her life has changed because of it (they’re super interesting and honest so check them out!). She encourages us to talk about the things that are deemed taboo and challenge the expectations society sets for us.

Melanie Murphy – @melaniiemurphy

Melanie Murphy is an Irish gem, who talks about body positivity and loving yourself as you are. She suffered with body dysmorphia and orthorexia in her teens and early twenties and now seeks to spread love surrounding the acceptance of our bodies. She has a little video series call food diary fridays, where she sometimes talks about her history of disorded eating and her relationship with food, but mainly shows us the yummy meals she’s made that day. 

She makes videos on her channel documenting her life, speaking out as a member and advocate for the LGBT+ community and encouraging people to be open and honest about their mental health. All of this and her body positivity inspiration makes Melanie Murphy an amazing influencer to keep up with.

Harnaam Kaur – @ harnaamkaur

Harnaam Kaur was originally known for being the youngest women to have grown a full beard. However, Harnaam has grown in following due to her advocacy regarding body positivity, mental health and LGBT+ issues.

Harnaam was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is a condition that causes an imbalance of hormones, particularly increased testosterone within women. PCOS can cause increased hair growth, difficulty to lose weight, fertility issues and irregular or non-existent periods. She brings awareness to PCOS as a condition and how it can affect women’s everyday confidence in their own skin.

Harnaam was bullied at school because of her ‘unwanted’ body hair and after years of trying to remove it, she embraced her body and now promotes self-love and body confidence. She strongly believes, like many others, that the unrealistic beauty standards brought to the public by the media are a breeding ground for self-criticism and and that the representation of women needs to be diversified so people can see themselves within media.

Cacsmy Brutus – @mamacaxx

Mama Cax was diagnosed with bone and lung cancer at the age of 14 and given only three weeks to live. She survived the disease but had to have her right leg amputated in the process. She now has a prosthetic leg and uses crutches to assist her to walk.

Mama Cax is a hugely successful beauty and lifestyle blogger and an inspiration to so many people. She believes that the world needs more bloggers who have ‘unique experience’ that they can share with others. Her travel blog shares her experiences as ‘a women, a person of colour and as a person with a physical disability’ who is travelling the world.

She has walked for New York Fashion Week SS19 and is an ambassador for Alleles, a company who make incredible covers for prosthetic limbs, allowing for a whole new type of self expression.  Mama Cax is an inspiration who has taken what life has handed her, and channelled it into self-acceptance, body confidence and some seriously stunning fashion.

Loads of HCX love xxx