4 Outfits for an Exeter Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Knowing when, where, and (most importantly!) what to wear when first going out in Exeter is definitely a challenge faced by all Freshers’.  The numerous promoted nights and events which bombard us all on arrival can be daunting! Luckily, your fashion fairy godmothers on the HCX Fashion & Beauty team are here to help. We run through the top five nightlife spots in Exeter and show you the best looks for each night, from all out dressing up to keeping casual yet cool. Warning: heels are strongly discouraged!

The ‘Lemmy’

If you’re a Fresher, chances are that most Saturday nights will be spent in the Student Union, fondly known as the Lemmy. Let your biggest stress be the infamous queue which forms every week outside the Lemmy by taking our outfit advice! Essential items such as the little black skirt (we’re loving the high waisted flared fit, which goes perfectly with crop tops, Topshop £15) and ballet flats (Topshop, £18) will become versatile wardrobe staples, and are perfect to pair with crop tops and jersey tops week by week. Change up your look regularly with statement jewels such as this Topshop chain (£14). Keeping your look simple and effortless is the key; there is no need to look overdone at the Lemmy!

[pagebreak]

Arena

Arena is by far one of the most popular weekday nights out in Exeter! Hearing the name of this club may conjure up for many visions of a sticky floor and dubious smell, but you can’t beat a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday night! For Mondays and Thursdays, be brave in bodycon dresses and statement jewellery. Usually the golden rule of University nightlife is ‘no heels’; your legs (and dignity!) will thank you in the morning! However, for when an outfit just doesn’t look right without them, try a pair of wedges for extra height, without sacrificing comfort (Office, £60). Don’t say we didn’t warn you! Possibly one of the busiest nights of the week is ‘Cheesy Tuesdays’ at Arena. Keep it casual with a high waisted skirt and top; the focus is definitely on the music!

[pagebreak]

Mosaic

Mosaic is the perfect night out to experiment sartorially; from dressed up to down, anything goes! Mondays and Thursdays are known to be the busiest nights at this bar and club just off the High Street. On Thursday, a night dedicated to beats and bass, a pair of suitably distressed Levi’s shorts (£35, Urban Outfitters) will go down well, especially when paired with a sleek crop top and high tops. Add individuality to your outfit with unique jewellery; we’re loving mid-finger rings and neon brights (topshop.com). If denim cut-offs feel too casual, try the classic black-high waisted skirt and ankle boots for a more sophisticated take on a Monday night. The best part about this outfit? Elements such as Levi’s shorts and unique jewellery can be translated in to your daytime outfits, too!

[pagebreak]

Cellar Door

For those more sartorially suited to Bristol or Leeds Universities, and in love with bass music, this is the place for you. Every other Tuesday, Cellar Door heats up with ‘Thick as Thieves’. Dare to go as hipster as possible, with chunky jewellery, ripped tanks and leather. Add a fashion edge to even the most basic of shoes with a dip dye; get the look of these Vans slip ons (Office.com) on a student budget with white plimsolls and fabric paint. HCX also loves edgy accessories such as ear cuffs; usually, they don’t even require piercings so you can test the look without the commitment! Another alternative venue similar to Cellar Door is Carvern, where many head to on a Saturday night. The same sartorial rules apply here too; grungy layers of lace and leather will certainly not go amiss.

[pagebreak]

Timepiece

Our work here is done! Every Wednesday night, Timepiece is invaded by a number of societies, who will determine the dress code for their socials beforehand. A word of warning; as a Fresher, your outfit will probably not be the most tasteful!  However, this does not make dressing up less fun; aside from Primark, there are numerous dress-up shops down the bottom of Exeter High Street which will cater to all your body-painting needs. Timepiece is also always packed with students on a Friday night, when arguably the music is the best all week! Freshers’ looking for a wild night out should head to the top floor, reported to be one of the top easiest places to pull in the country! You have been warned… 

We’d love to see your preferred looks for going out in Exeter, girls! Tweet or Instagram us @hercampusexeter with your outfit of the day, for a chance to be featured in the Campus Style Blog! 

Photo Credits: www.topshop.com, www.urbanoutfitters.com, www.etsy.com, www.harrods.com, www.office.co.uk,  www.zara.com, www.misselfridge.com, www.unifclothing.com, www.hm.com, www.thehut.com, www.riverisland.com, www.weheartit.com.

Maxine Vining is currently a 3rd year History and Politics student, and Current Affairs Editor at HCX.  
Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.