Things To Do In Cornwall When The Weather’s Not Great…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

So Autumn has made its grand entrance here at Exeter’s Penryn Campus, and it seems as if all the leaves have fallen at once. The sun is still shining – but don’t let that decieve you into going outside without a coat…

The weather is more or less acceptable for now, but here are some things to do just in case the weather’s not great here in Cornwall.

1. Visit your local cinema

Cornwall is great for independent cinemas, and while they’re not in abundance, you can always find one just a bus ride away if you’re in the mood for a movie on a rainy day and Netflix has let you down.

We recommend Falmouth’s Phoenix cinema. It’s just up the street from The Moor bus stop, and offers a great ‘Movie Magic’ discount card: very student friendly! Make sure you keep an eye out for their live National Theatre screenings, too! 

2. Do some baking

Take advantage of all the food markets that take place in Cornwall and buy some fresh produce – students can be healthy too! Now’s the time to be baking pumpkin pies and setting off the smoke alarms in your flat.

Who cares if your kitchen is tiny? Bake away! 

3. Embark on a quest to find the best coffee shop

Places like Falmouth are full of cute, independent hideaways where you can study or watch the world go by, even if it is raining. If you’re not into coffee, find a tea room instead! (And if you’re an awkward no-hot-drinks kind of person, find the best pasty.) 

4. Get crafty

Google craft stores and markets in your area, because it’s never too late to take up a hobby. Invest in some knitting needles and make a scarf for when the cold really does hit.

Crochet a woolly hat – it’s not as hard as you think, and it’s a great way to relieve stress, too.

If you’re up for something less technical, start scrapbooking to record the great times you’re having at uni, or maybe make some Christmas cards to send home. Be inspired!

5. Finally, just brave the weather and go exploring!

If you don’t mind the cold, just get on a train somewhere for the day with your friends. Maybe go to Truro and start Christmas shopping early, so money won’t be leaving your bank account all at once in December.

And if you’re really not keen on being out in the rain, visit the Eden Project – it’s all indoors, and you can spam Instagram with hundreds of pictures of plants!

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...