Festive recipes: Mulled Wine & Mulled Cider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

The holiday season is here, and a warm glass of mulled wine or cider is the best way to celebrate. These are sure to get you in the festive spirit!

Mulled Wine:

You could just use a simple mix from a supermarket, but the best milled wine is fresh! This recipe was adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe, here.

Ingredients:

• Peel and juice of 1 large orange
  • Peel of 1 lemon
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 tsp grated / ground nutmeg
  • 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways / 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (regular sized) bottle red wine

Optional: 

• 60ml brandy

Method: 

1. Over a medium heat add the sugar, orange & lemon peel and the juice of the orange.
  2. Throw the cloves, cinnamon stick, vanilla pod, bay leaf and grated nutmeg into the pan. 
  3. Stir in just enough red wine to cover the sugar. (Not all, or you’ll cook off the alcohol).
  4. Let this simmer until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil for about 4-5 minutes, or until you’ve got a beautiful thick syrup.
  5. Turn the heat down to low, add the star anise and the rest of the wine. Ready to strain (through a sieve) and serve after around 5 minutes.
  6. If you’re using it, add the brandy off the heat.

Mulled Cider: 

Mulled cider is so easy, and so easy to adapt – add any of your favourite spices and enjoy when it’s freezing cold outside to warm you up!

Ingredients:

• 1L dry cider
  • 1 orange, zested & cut into half-slices (like triangles)
  • zest 1/2 lemon
  • 325ml apple juice
  • 3 cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated / ground nutmeg
  • 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways / 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Caster sugar / honey 

Optional: 

• 60ml rum (spiced / dark) 
  • 30ml calvados (add with cider / spices) 

Method:

1. Using a large pan, warm the cider on a low heat.
  2. Add the cloves, nutmeg, vanilla pod (or extract), orange & lemon zest and apple juice. (Also add the calvados now if you’re using it)
  3. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes and add the orange slices. 
  4. Add the sugar / honey a little bit at a time to taste – don’t make it too sweet!
  5. If you’re using it, add the rum off the heat.

Photos: Mulled wine from rpavich, Mulled cider from Louise Vansleve)