8 Things You Must Do This Easter Holiday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

The days are getting (slightly) warmer, and Gylly beach is calling your name…and, finally, you have no more deadlines. What seems to have been a never-ending drag of library days and referencing has come to a close, and you are finally free (at least for a little while!)

When I turned in my final assignment of the term, I found myself feeling a little lost. Having spent the last three months in an assignment-filled-daze, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself. I settled down with a cup of tea and some daytime TV, hoping to feel relaxed since I no longer had to trouble myself with anything more serious. However, rather than the clear-minded state I had hoped to achieve, I found that, while my body had stopped, my brain certainly hadn’t, and, having been used to thinking so much for so long, was continuing to whir away, reminding me of things I should be doing and fretting over potential grades.

So, I decided to switch off This Morning and write you a little list of ways to curb boredom, relax, and have some fun in the process so that you can make the most of the precious break!

1. Read: 

​Having spent the last term reading journal after journal, you may reel back at the very idea of reading yet more words in your much-needed break. However, now is the time for you to read exactly what you want to – be it a trashy magazine or a period drama – and get lost in the world that’s opened up to you on the pages.

2. Start a new hobby: 

Have a go at something new! If you’re staying in Cornwall over the holidays, perhaps you could get some friends together and go paddle boarding or surfing! You never know, you may have a hidden talent!

3. Book a ticket

…anywhere! It doesn’t matter if it’s across the world or across town. Book a ticket and go somewhere you’ve never been before. You never know what you may find, and what else have you got planned, anyway!?

4. Make time for your family

Living at university can mean that you don’t see your family as much as you used to. So, make the most of your time off to go and visit them!

5. Have a bonfire

Get together a group of friends and go to the beach/a field and get a bonfire going to keep warm! You can snuggle round it and tell ghost stories, roast marshmallows…

6. Learn to cook

University doesn’t leave much time for honing your culinary skills – pasta and pesto or 50% off dominos is much more appealing. Now you have the time, why not cook yourself a meal. It may be a case of trial and error, but it will taste so much better knowing it was made with your own fair hands – and be better for you! When you’ve mastered it, you can invite your family and friends to try it – and if all else fails, ply them with wine and nibbles.

7. Go on a road trip

Road trips aren’t just for America! Pack up your car with snacks and friends and drive away. Windows down and music blaring, you won’t have a care in the world. Why not drive back down to Falmouth and spend a few days appreciating it without the pressure of deadlines.

8. Do something that scares you

Get your heart racing! This can be anything…maybe you’ve been trying to pluck up the courage to ask someone out, or been dying to try an extreme sport. If not now, when?

Images: 1 2

Olivia Burton

Exeter Cornwall