As I embark on the end of my semester-long internship, aka “practicum” as the school of education calls it, I wanted to write an article about why I love teaching. Although I am not officially a teacher, as I still have about 3 weeks left, I wanted to document my feelings and thoughts towards the end of my student-teaching journey.
- The first reason I love teaching is because of the students, obviously! They make it all worth it. I am so beyond grateful for all the genuine kindness and joy my students bring to me and my class. I could not have predicted how wonderful these students are, as they exceeded my expectations. Being able to see such energetic, caring, and passionate students makes me excited to teach in the future. :)
- Next, I love teaching because I love being able to make a difference! Seeing students with that “a-ha” moment where everything clicks, the stars align, the confidence is visible in their eyes, their project finally looks the way they wanted it to, and everything just makes sense is so incredible. As someone who struggled in school, especially when it came time to feeling successful in academics, it makes me so happy that I get the opportunity to ensure that my students feel worthy, capable, and talented.
- I love being able to shape my own lessons and incorporate a variety of unique and fun things into what I teach! More often than not, students loathe school because of how stressful, challenging, and overwhelming it is. Getting to do projects that the students genuinely care about or actually want to make allows them to take a break from the constant rigor of academics.
- I love being able to decorate and organize my own classroom and all the materials! Making a comfortable, safe, and of course, aesthetically pleasing environment that is all mine allows me to ensure a great place for students to learn, hang out in, and embrace art in.
- I love being a teacher because it is a way to give back. I want to be there for my students and show them I’m always there for them as much as I can be. My teachers have always been some of my biggest pillars and champions, and I want to do the same for my students! Making others feel confident, safe, and empowered makes me feel capable and strong as a teacher and person!
- Teaching is just one of the best ways to fill others buckets (as the school saying goes) and it also fills my bucket too! If you ever want to make a difference to a variety of people, or even just one person, teaching is one of the best ways to make a positive impact on the world around you. I am excited to see where my teaching journey takes me! :)