Article hero image for a series of articles.
Julia Keegan

TikTok Trends I’ve Tried During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Ever since social distancing was put into place to try and prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus, TikTok has become an increasing popular pastime. This epidemic has forced everyone to adapt to an alternate way of life, one that goes against basic human nature. No social contact besides who you are living with, only leaving your house for necessities, and if you do so you’re wearing a mask and gloves. Most of us are so attuned to a busy and hectic life full of constant work, running errands, seeing friends and family, going to the gym, going out, etc. Having everything taken away at once can leave us feeling lost, lonely, bored, and anxious. So a lot of people are turning to TikTok as a form of entertainment, and to maybe just forget what’s going on around them. 

For anyone who doesn’t know what TikTok is, it’s a video-sharing form of social media where users can create short video clips dancing, lip-syncing, or simply making comedic clips. I honestly wasn’t really on TikTok until quarantine began, but now I can scroll through my feed for hours laughing, and finding DIY things I can entertain myself with. Here are a few that I have tried: 

DIY Half Bleached Jeans Trend

You’re literally just bleaching one leg of your jeans, but I have seen these sell for $60 + at popular stores, so honestly learning to make them yourself is so much cheaper if you have a pair of jeans you’re willing to spare. My family and I cleaned out our closets to find clothing that my sister and I could use to do fun fashion DIY projects with. So I used one of her old pairs of jeans and basically you just fold up one pant leg and wrap a plastic bag around it. I used duct tape to create a solid line on the mid jean area. Then we mixed water and bleach and scrubbed it on one side of the jeans. It actually took us a couple rounds of this to get them as white as we wanted, but then we let them sit in the sun outside, rinsed, and threw in the wash. 

DIY Bleach Tie-Dye Clothing Trend

This was super simple. My sister and I used a black sweatshirt and sweatpants to do this, and we took them outside and used elastics to wrap them how we wanted and used a spray bottle with bleach to create the tie-dye look. They came out great!

DIY T-Shirt Trend

For me, this did not work at all. Maybe I was just doing it wrong or my iron wasn’t strong enough, but I swear I was following the instructions! You’re supposed to be able to print any photo you want on computer paper, wrap it in plastic wrap, put parchment paper over that and it should iron into your shirt creating a custom graphic t-shirt. It seems like it works on everyone’s TikTok, but most people I know that tried it, it did not work for. 

Any & All Dance Trends

These are just fun to fool around with even if you’re not the best dancer. They’re entertaining and fun to learn. There’s so many dance trends but some of the most popular are “Renegade,” “Number One Baby,” “7 Rings,” “Get Up,” “The Box,” “Toes,” “Say So,” “Walked In,” “Out West Challenge,” and many more.

I know how hard quarantine can be, so Tiktok is just a simple way to make your day a little more fun.