Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Masterbating: We all do it, so why not talk about it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

This is just one of those things that so many people do everyday, yet for some reason it can be shameful, or embarrassing to talk about. But why? We’re sexual beings – it’s completely normal and natural! I’ve always been a really open person when it comes to talking about love, relationships, sex, and masturbation. The topics excite me, and I love to know and explore my own body, wants, and needs. This is something I’ve always felt really passionate about saying; everyone should know themselves and what they like. Masturbation is a great way to do this ~ let’s dive into the perks, because I really don’t see any cons. 

Better Understanding of One’s Wants and Needs (Better Sex!)

After talking to friends about this, I’ve realized that there are a lot of people who don’t even know exactly what they like or how to find their own g-spot. I think it’s all about getting comfortable with yourself and finding what you like. Is it your fingers, vibrators, dildos?  Do you like porn, erotic stories, your own fantasies? Once you figure this out, you know exactly how to get yourself off and you can share that with whoever you’re in bed with. Tell them what you like and don’t – you can even touch yourself during sex as well. Communication and knowing your body is bound to make sex more enjoyable.

Relieve Built Up Stress or Pain 

Masturbating is a safe, healthy, and natural way to improve your health. There are so many benefits for your mind and body. Having an orgasm is known to reduce pain and stress. I know for girls it helps relieve menstrual cramp pain as well. Orgasms are legitimately a natural painkiller. 

Feel Pleasure & Sleep Better

I mean who doesn’t want to go to bed happy? Orgasms release endorphins which basically are feel good chemicals in your brain. They’re like the ones you get from a great workout and leave you feeling empowered and happy. These ultimately can help you relax and fall asleep easier.

Increase Self-Awareness & Confidence

Overall, learning how to give yourself sexual pleasure can be empowering and has so many benefits. I really believe that there’s something special that comes with knowing your own body and what you like. It’s probably the best way to learn about your own sexuality, and what exactly you need to reach your orgasm. You’re opening yourself up to a different part of yourself, and it can feel really really amazing. 

Don’t let society make you feel uncomfortable about being with yourself, because this is so normal and natural. Be proud to know your body :)