jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I’m Mrs. Brightside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

“Taking control.” A very enigmatic phrase. What exactly does taking control mean? The Killers use the lyric in their song Mr.Brightside to describe the singer’s struggle of taking control of his life by getting away from the negativity and the scenes controlling his head. This girl he loves is hooking up with some other guy and he can’t stand to watch it so he pleads to his head to let him be free form this jealousy and psychological torment. 

That’s what we should all aspire to do, take control over our lives and rid them of the negative vibes that bring us down. Life is short and it’s not worth feeling down. Especially not over some guy or girl who isn’t even thinking about you. No one should have the power over your feelings. 

Once you realize your worth, you will feel a new breed of happiness that cannot be explained. By knowing what you’re worth a new confidence will take precedence in your life. That confidence is what you need to put out into the world. You will attract the kind of people you are searching for, the ones that will add to your life instead of taking away from it.

Tackle one thing at a time. We all think we are such great multitaskers, but in reality it’s hard to focus on more than one thing at a time. If you truly want to feel in control of your life you need to pace yourself. The basis of everything is done one step at a time. You can’t get anywhere without putting one foot first. 

Here’s some ways I like to take control.

1. Find some songs that inspire you to tackle life with ambition and excitement even when you’re not mentally feeling that strong.

Some powerful, uplifting songs I like are Fly by Maddie & Tae, Praying by Kesha, Fight Song by Rachel Platten, Marchin On by OneRepublic, and Love Myself by Hailee Seinfeld.

And of course Viva La Vida. 

Yes, I mean live life. But also listen to Viva La Vida by Coldplay. It’s a beautifully written song that’s impossible not to love. It’ll have you feeling like you can rule the world.

2)   Stop Procrastinating

I know we’re all college students and procrastinating is like second nature, but we’re here for a reason. Yes, college is supposed to be fun, but it’s also supposed to provide us the foundation for the professional future we want to build. We cannot build that future if we do not start somewhere. 

3)    Get a Good Night’s Sleep

In college it is intensely difficult for us to get a proper amount of sleep, but sometimes it’s crucial. It may be necessary to get a good night’s sleep every night, but let’s be honest, that’s never going to happen with our busy schedules and workloads. But sometimes we need it, even if we have to schedule it into our planners. We need sleep, particularly if we’re feeling down. Sleep has a wonderful ability to help us through things. It brings the promise of a new day and with that new day anything is possible. 

4) Work in Sprints 

Take your time and don’t overwork yourself. Give yourself breaks to relax and destress. As college students we’re all consistently tired, but still have a lot to get done all the time. Do one thing at a time like I mentioned before and if you get overstressed, take a break. Get a drink, go for a walk, listen to some music. Breaks are a good thing. They can help your productivity in the long run. 

And lastly,

5) Do What You Can Handle

We all have our limits and we all have many things to balance in our lives. Don’t overload yourself and spread yourself too thin. It’s unhealthy to have to handle so much. Whether it’s sports, drama, clubs, work, classes, or school work don’t take on so much. Never ending stress is not good for you or anybody. 

I graduated from Endicott College with a B.S. in Marketing Communication and Advertising, with a minor in Photography. I am now attending Emerson College to attain my M.A. in Digital Marketing and Data Analytics. I love fashion, lifestyle, entertainment, social media, and photography! 
Eva Graef

Endicott