Best Workouts to Lose Weight During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

For starters, cutting back on carbs and sweets is the best way to begin your post-turkey coma detox. It may sound easy, but we all know how hard it is to say “no” to the leftover pie sitting in your refrigerator. Swap out sweets for a healthier alternative such a fruit. This may not be as satisfying, but it may satisfy your craving for sweets. Carbs are another big one. We can all admit to having a few too many rolls at Thanksgiving dinner or a too many cookies during desert, but it’s time to cut back. Limit yourself to as few carbs as possible. Switch out the bagel for a portioned-sized bag of popcorn or a plate of vegetables and dip. Try it out for a day, you may surprise yourself with your new found snacking ideas.

The biggest excuse for working out during the holidays is the weather, and it’s true. It’s cold! If you’re not a big runner, try going for a walk in the early afternoon, when the day is at its warmest, once you get your heart pumping, you’ll warm up. Walking at a fast pace is a great calorie burner and for the most part, is a pretty easy way to move your body for an hour out of the day. Of course, there are other ways to workout without leaving your house, or dorm. Squats are a great muscle-toning exercise and if you do enough of them, you’re sure to see results. Combine a few leg and core exercises with some simple arm routines and you’ll be on your way to toning down for spring break.  

Lastly, water is crucial. I know, I know, you might be asking how that helps you to lose weight, but it does! Drinking water helps to boost your metabolism and in conjunction with eating right and moving your body, it is a great combination to jumpstart your weight loss plan. Not only does water boost your metabolism, it helps you stay hydrated and aware. Sometimes, an ice cold glass of water can be just as satisfying as a calorie-filled soda! I hope these tips help you get started on your post-holiday workout routine. Good luck!

Riley Jenson

Endicott '20

I am a senior at Endicott with a major in Marketing Communication/Advertising and a minor in Professional Writing. I'm passionate about writing and the fashion industry. My dream is to move to New York City.
Eva Graef

Endicott