20 Things I Learned Before Turning 20

Two weeks ago, I turned 20 years old. This transition into the next decade of my life feels crazy!! Life goes by fast. I am excited for what is to come next in my life. In honor of this change, I decided to reflect back on the past 20 years of my life, and create a list of 20 things I have learned. Everything on this list is based on my personal experiences, mistakes, losses, memories, and relationships with others. I hope that this list will inspire you to create your own based on things you have learned in your own life!!

1. 1. Balance is the key to everything

2. 2. Your smile could be the only one someone sees today

3. 3. A sad moment does not have to turn into a sad day

4. 4. A wise, elderly woman once told me, "friendships are the key to a happy life." Remember that some are meant to be temporary and some are forever.

5. 5. Being in love is magical, intense, amazing, and scary all at the same time

6. 6. Focus on health. Not the number on the scale.

7. 7. Gossiping hurts your reputation more than it hurts the reputation of the person you are talking about

8. 8. Traveling is food for the soul

9. 9. Being a woman is a superpower

10. 10. Nothing will hold you back more than comparing yourself to others

11. 11.  Dealing with loss: Cherish the memories and allow yourself to grieve in your own manner. Never judge anyone on their way of grieving.

12. 12. Celebrate every chance you get

13. 13. Everyone is fighting their own battles

14. 14.  No relationship can prosper long-term without patience, sacrifice, and forgiveness

15. 15. The greatest opportunities are nerve-wracking- do it anyways!

16. 16. Learning about other people is one of the most beautiful things about life

17. 17. A bad grade will not determine your success

18. 18. Driving with the windows down, and the music up is therapeutic 

19. 19. Love with your whole heart

20. 20. You will be okay