Your ULTIMATE Guide to Atlanta’s Music Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Your first few weeks of school are coming to a close; mixers are plentiful, darties even more so, and your workload is just about taking off. The South is a wonderful place and I count my lucky stars that I have had the opportunity to study where I do. The sun shines and the birds chirp, it’ll feel like summer way longer than it will back home. Life here is good.

But if you’re reading this then, like me, you’re most likely looking for a little something more. Atlanta is a cultural hub where grade A music, food and the arts seem to crop up in the most unexpected of ways and places. In the past year that I’ve lived here, I’ve tried to get off campus and explore the city and I can say with confidence that there is no place better for a music lover on a budget than in the ATL.

Weekdays or weeknights, it’s no matter, there is always someone to see, always a group to discover. Whether your passion for music is one you’ve developed while studying in this godsend of a city or one you’ve brought with you from home (along with your favorite records, of course), becoming a part of this city’s music scene and also mastering it is as easy as 1,2,3.

Step One: Know Your Venues

When leaving your typical music scene and trying to become a part of a new one, it’s important to remember that popular venues, though different, do exist all over. I’ve frequented most venues here ranging from small, to large, to extra extra large.

1. The Masquerade

http://www.axs.com/atlanta-s-best-venues-the-masquerade-16318

The masquerade, located in Atlanta’s fourth ward district near the downtown Atlanta area is home to one of the best performances I’ve seen to date. Within the building there are three stages within the building bearing the names Heaven and Hell and Purgatory. Coming from a city with such restricted access when it comes to space within a venue this was a huge eye opener for me. Here there was a rickety old staircase leading up to the heaven stage; no one pushed, no one fell, all was calm and positive. Also, very much to my surprise, two concerts occurred at the same time. It was refreshing and just the change of pace I so came to love here experiencing music live in Atlanta.

1. The Tabernacle

http://specialevents.livenation.com/venue/the-tabernacle-atlanta-ga

The Tabernacle, previously Broughton Tabernacle, was opened in 1910 as the Georgia Baptist Medical Center and nursing school by pastor and doctor Dr. Leonard Gaston Broughton. Previously owned and operated by the Third Baptist Church, it remained vacant until the 1996 centennial Olympic games. During that time it was converted into a House of Blues club and has since been owned by different owners and is now owned by Live Nation Entertainment. The Tabernacle is a location rich with history, complete with chandeliers, stained glass windows, and lofty ceilings, making for an unforgettable concert going experience.

1. Phillips Arena

https://www.axs.com/venues/101172/philips-arena-atlanta-tickets

Phillips Arena is just that, a sports arena that has been multi-purposed for live entertainment events as well. Home to the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks and the WNBA’s Atlanta Dream, the venue has said to welcome over 1.6 million guests annually through its doors. Think of it as Atlanta’s MSG; if you’re willing you can get up close and personal with the performer, as long as you have the budget to do so. Keep an eye on those presale tickets though and you might just get lucky. Most performers are big headliners, ones that can sell out in no time at all. So save up and keep an eye out before your ticket disappears.

Step Two: Load up on Ammo

Events are important, of course, but what’s more important than that? Knowing where and when they’re happening of course. There’s nothing like that initial rush of realizing that one of your favorite artists is finally coming to town, and surely nothing more disappointing than finding out a little too late. These tricks should help you avoid disheartening situations such as the previously mentioned all together.

http://corp.bandsintown.com/media-library/

1. This handy-dandy app has been my ~everything~ for the entirety of my concert going career in Atlanta and beyond. The Bandsintown app allows users to track their favorite artists, RSVP to events and receive alerts when bands are touring near you. The app scans the user’s music library in a variety of forms (i.e.: Spotify, iTunes, Souncloud and others) to track one’s favorite artists and receive suggestions as to which artists they might enjoy but have not discovered yet. The app works with your location to build a personalized queue of shows you might want to attend. PRAISE this app, it’s a music lover’s dream, anywhere and everywhere.

https://www.wired.com/2012/12/in-instagram-vs-twitter-spat-you-are-the-loser/

1. If Instagram and twitter weren’t already relevant enough to you, make them even more so. Heed my advice, follow the artists that mean something to you and even take the extra step and turn on their post notifications. These social media platforms are designed to keep us in the know so use them to your advantage instead of mindlessly scrolling through memes and retweeting garbage. Artists do and will announce tour info, or even hint at the possibility of being a part of an upcoming event using social media so stop being your prissy hipster self and hop on the bandwagon. Everybody’s doing it. You’ll just be doing it better

http://blog.storyful.com/2016/04/12/five-tips-for-improving-facebook-discovery/#.V9XPXpMrJDU

1. This last one might seem a bit redundant, but, surprisingly, Facebook is a platform that often goes ignored but should not be. In my experience, artists that are up and coming, ones without a huge twitter or Instagram following, will take to Facebook for live Q and A’s, exclusive content, tour announcements, ticket sales and release date information. Since Facebook is a little more “all inclusive” in that it allows for more pictures, more video, more dialogue and essentially more content to be shared, it’s an easy way to get the word out there. Unfortunately, along with all of the other “recently liked” and “shared” content, it’s easy to miss what artists have to say. Turn on post notifications for those silent but killer artists that you just can’t wait to see.

Step Three: Know the Big Three

Atlanta is a city that is up and coming, striving to reach it’s full potential yet somehow continually attempting to go beyond it. The music scene here is a beautiful thing, one that fosters community and those ~good vibes~ people are always talking about.

Whether you’re a die-hard music junkie or simply one to go for the experience, Atlanta is home to some of the best music festivals out there. So grab a group of friends who are ready for good food, good times and great music because these are days and nights that are not to be forgotten.

1. Music Midtown

An annual festival held here in the ATL in Piedmont Park where festivalgoers are able to experience upwards of thirty artists over the span of two days. The festival’s artists span from rap to pop to EDM to indie to alternative, meaning, there is something for just about everyone to enjoy. If you want to be in the action there is ample opportunity to participate. If you’re more of the laid back type it’s quite easy to get lost in the beauty of the festival, grab some food and cop a squat on a hill under a tree somewhere.

2. Imagine Festival

Imagine music festival is a three-day camping electronic music festival held at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. This year attendees had the pleasure of experiencing some of EDM’s most prominent figureheads of the past and the present, those who have influenced and continue to influence the world of music as we know it today. Taking place at the end of the summer, this is a perfect opportunity to grab those you love and dance away your inhibitions before the school year begins!

3. Shaky Knees/ Shaky Beats Festivals

Happening one weekend after the other, both located in the Centennial Olympic Park, the Shaky Knees and Shaky Beats music festivals are ones for the music snob and festival lover alike. Shaky Knees offers more of the alt/ indie vibe, with headliners like Florence and the Machine, The 1975, and Walk The Moon gracing the stage this past summer. One weekend later, the Shaky Beats festival features a predominately electronic music lineup along with some indie and hip-hop additions. Both festivals are a can’t experience miss all around and are worth sticking out the Atlanta heat for an extra two weeks at the end of the term.

So, as a well seasoned member of the Atlanta music community I am here to tell you that in your four years down here (or possibly beyond) you can and you will see what you want to see, better and bigger than you ever have. Happy concert-going! 

I like music more than i like most people, I'd take death over decaf any day and I'm currently suffering from chronic resting b*tch face. Oh, and I'm probably the one in black.
Her Campus at Emory University