david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Guide to The Best Haunted Houses in Georgia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Halloween is only a week away and with midterms, it can be hard to get in the mood. Pumpkin spice lattes can only get you so far and corn mazes are cute and all, but Halloween is a time for traumatizing, scarred-for-life types of horrors. While there are a multitude of cheesy haunted houses in Atlanta, there are also some really disturbing fun ones that will leave you wondering why you opted to pay to be so terrified. Here are the top three haunted houses in Georgia:

Netherworld

Netherworld Haunted House in Norcross is by far the best haunted house in the Atlanta area. You’ve probably heard about them before, and yes, the hype is true. Year after year, they never disappoint with their quality horrors. Perhaps the most theatrical and well-planned of the haunted houses in Georgia, Netherworld is in what looks like an abandoned warehouse, but the set production inside is up to par with that of a movie set or theme park. It’s super intricate with each phase of the house being scarier than the last. You’ll leave emotionally and physically drained because chances are you freaked out so hard you ended up hurting yourself. There are two attractions to choose from: The Rotting (zombie-ish) and Vault 13 (radioactive apocalyptic-type scare). You can get a combo ticket, which I would highly suggest because neither of these events are worth missing. This is a must-do before you leave Emory, because chances are your hometown doesn’t have anything to match.

Camp Blood

Camp Blood is terrifying in the way that it’s almost a little too real. I don’t know how to describe it other than by asking you to think of a haunted house based on all of the negative, creepy stereotypes about the South and you’ve got Camp Blood. Think Deliverance; basically, you drive out to the middle of nowhere (jk, it’s Carrollton) and you think: this can’t be right—there’s no way there’s anything but farms out this far. Then you stumble upon it: an eerie summer camp-style farm with a bonfire surrounded by zombie hillbillies…and that’s only in the line to get in. The haunted house itself consists of a few houses spread out in the woods, each with a different terrifying theme inside. You run through the dark from cabin to cabin and see the kind of scenes that will scar you for life…and it’s awesome. Camp Blood is the place to go if you’re not from the South and want to experience something truly unique that you probably won’t find anywhere else. Also, there’s a zombie paintball shoot…just sayin’.

Chamber of Horrors

Chamber of Horrors is the only haunted house in Atlanta that requires you to be 18 or older to enter, and there’s definitely a reason for that. Chamber of Horrors takes gore and psychotic scares to the next level. While they won’t touch you, they will scream personalized insults and use graphic imagery and language to shock you. Located at the Masquerade, this is the closest haunted house to campus and it’s one of the most unique. This is the last year it will be in the Masquerade, so catch them while they’re close! You may have spotted them at the Little 5 Points Halloween parade this year as they had quite the float. Check out Chamber of Horrors if you want something a little more intense—something so specifically scary that children aren’t even allowed.

Her Campus at Emory University