lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Rushing a Sorority is Essentially Auditioning for The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Let’s face it: Sorority Row has all the glitz and glam of the Bachelor Mansion. Bright lights electrify the dark nights of rush as charmingly beautiful young ladies shiver with fear, excitement, and cold. All are primped, pampered, and dressed to impress. And, while Emory students rushing sororities may be slightly more educated than many of the show’s contestants, everyone seems to be competing for a common prize—everlasting love and bondage.

In the midst of good vibes, however, there is tension. Standing beside friends, acquaintances, and “that girl from the laundry room,” it is no secret that the end of the week will yield only a limited number of roses—I mean, bids—and some women will leave empty handed.

The night starts with first impressions. Having only five to ten minutes of conversation with different sorority girls offers a limited window through which to reveal the best qualities of oneself. And let’s face it: there is nothing more embarrassing than letting Ben H—I mean, the sorority—think you are someone you are not.

To add to the stress, you are constantly being dragged away and forced to recreate that desired persona over and over again. Should you show different sides of yourself, or is consistency the key? At times, you may even be tempted to wonder: are you more like the contestants, or the Bachelor himself?

All the attention makes you feel desired, but also incredibly conscious of being judged. Will you be “preffed” back? Are your feelings reciprocated? There could be anything—literally anything—about you that could be found as a flaw.

After the night is over, who can sleep soundly knowing that her fate is no longer in her own control? Past interactions cannot be altered or renewed, posing the question of whether it is worse to be to be too memorable, or not remembered at all. However, sleep you must, as the nights ahead are numbered. When the Pi Chis deliver your date card come morning, you best be alert to consider the options that remain. Your fate rests on that tiny little card.

And, while an invitation back is a call for celebration, the Pi Chi’s deliver is a blow as well as blessing. Regardless of how invested you are in a given sorority, rejection hurts.

It is important to remind yourself that this process is in part a numbers game. With so many girls to talk to, can you really blame the sisters, either? Really, you just needed more time. And, probably a few more tears.

Thankfully, this year’s rush has come to a close and the tears have blossomed into acceptance and sisterly love. You have been hand picked by groups of wonderful young women to embark on journeys of friendship, service, and sisterhood. To those who made it to bid day and those who did not quiet make the cut: you are all deserving of the final rose.

Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.
Her Campus at Emory University