david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Halloween Candy Isn’t as Bad as You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

So, you may have indulged a little too much in Halloween candy this past weekend. Or maybe you’re getting tempted by the crazy candy sales in CVS now that Halloween is over! Either way, we’re here to tell you that your Halloween candy may not be as bad for you as you think. Here’s why:

1. Obviously all of this candy has a lot of sugar, which gives it a high calorie content. However, more calories isn’t always bad! Because sugar has more calories, it gives you a burst of energy. However, because candy has low nutritional value, the energy it gives you is short-term.

2. It helps your skin! Glycolic acid, found in sugar, helps maintain your skin’s youthful look. It helps eliminate blemished and restore natural oils.

3. Eating candy made with dark chocolate could help reduce your risk of heart disease. Studies have found that dark chocolate may also improve blood flow and lower your blood pressure. Another bonus: dark chocolate also has a lot of antioxidants!

4. When eaten in moderation, candy does not actually cause diabetes. Scientists have found that type 2 diabetes has a strong hereditary component. While eating too much sugar can reduce the efficiency of the pancreas, ingesting a normal level of sugar is harmless.

In college, we try to cut down on delicious sweets in order to have a healthier lifestyle or due to the pressure of looking good for spring break. Halloween is a time when breaking the rules is okay; it’s importantto remember that eating sweets—in moderation of course—is definitely not the worst thing you can do to yourself!

Her Campus at Emory University