What to Expect Before and After Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It might not seem like it, but Thanksgiving Break is around the corner. You’re probably currently slumped with a week full of tests ahead of you, or you’re thinking about all the long-term assignments due at the end of the semester. Amidst all of this, you’re definitely anxious about going home, seeing your family, and celebrating the holiday.

Right before Thanksgiving break, there’s always a ton of excitement and eagerness surrounding the idea of the short time off. You’ve spent so much time in the ATL over the past three months and basically every second with your friends. While all the memories have been amazing, sometimes the little catty arguments, big dinner plans, and long nights in the library together can get a bit overwhelming. But there’s no need to worry—you’ll have a nice getaway for a few days and obviously some amazing home cooked food.

What to Look Forward To:

First things first: your house. There’s truly nothing better then sleeping in your own bed for the first time in awhile and taking a perfectly clean shower. (Without shower shoes!) After sharing a room for the past few months, it’ll be nice to finally be back in your own room and have your space.

Spending time with your family and your pets will be worth the long wait. (To be honest, I’m probably more excited to see my dog than I am to see my parents.) You’ll want to catch up on everything your long phone calls haven’t covered over the weeks since fall break or, for those of you who didn’t go home, all the way since August. You might even end up seeing your extended family at your Thanksgiving extravaganza. In that case, get ready to answer the same question 50 times from every member of your family. It gets exhausting—trust me!

Of course, you can’t forget about your high school friends. For many freshmen, this is the first time that some of you will have your entire old friend group back together. Everyone will be sharing stories and experiences about their semesters thus far. For the sophomores, juniors, and seniors, you probably already know the drill on your friends’ college social lives, so you’ll be able to catch up on their latest drama and anything exciting in their lives.

Finally, you can’t forget about your favorite restaurants in your town and your big Thanksgiving meal. I mean, what’s not to love about some good food? Need I say more?

It’s clear that going home will be an exciting time. But, when your break comes to an end, you need to know that some things may be different.

What to Expect When You Come Back:

The Workload: With finals approaching, your work is about to get intense…fast. You’ll need to be prepared to time manage better than ever before: it’s time to start catching up on all those readings you were supposed to do. Whether you want to believe it or not, finals are hard, they’re around the corner, and you need to start getting ready.

Friends: To the surprise of many freshmen, your friends can change. The friends you’ve been hanging out with since the first week might shift. It’s worth mentioning that just because you come back from Thanksgiving doesn’t mean your friend group is going to be differet right away. With that said, keep in mind that people do change. After being away from Emory, some people will decide that that they want to branch out and meet new people.

The End Is Near: This is it. It’s the last few weeks of the semester. It’s the last chance to accomplish everything you wanted, do well in your classes and, of course, have some fun. Make sure you enjoy these last few weeks—both before and after the break. Hopefully, the end nearing will motivate you to finish off the semester strong and make the most of it!

Her Campus at Emory University