The Ultimate Mardi Gras Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Time to pull out your best purples, greens, and golds and head down to New Orleans for one of the best weekends of the year.  Whether you’re road tripping with your girlfriends or hopping on a quick flight, there’s no way you’re not stressing over what to pack.  Here are a few tips on things to bring so you won’t be panicked when it’s time to throw everything into a suitcase!

Based off of the 10-day forecast (warning: these can be so unreliable) the weather is looking ideal.  It should be low 50s during the day on Friday and it should reach the 60s on Saturday – could it get any better?  Keeping this in mind, bring a sweatshirt or two that you don’t care about for going out at night, or just to have with you during the day in case you get cold.

What you need:

• Purple, gold, or green leggings
  • White or neon crop tops
  • Comfy zip-up sweatshirt if it gets chilly
  • Supergas or Converse that you don’t mind getting dirty
  • Fanny pack – this is actually so crucial and will keep all of your stuff safe
  • Pair of cheap sunglasses you don’t mind losing or breaking
  • Fun sequin head band to spice up your outfit
  • Flash Tattoo – never tried this, but why not…
  • Snacks – think power bars or nuts, easy stuff to snack on when you’re out
  • Aero bed – if you’re sleeping more than 4 people in your hotel room
  • Cash – always good to have just in case
  • Shot glasses (if you’re 21)

What you don’t need:

• Beads: okay, this might sound obvious to some of you, but my freshman year I was totally unclear if Mardi Gras had a BYOB (bring your own bead) policy.  Trust me, you will get so many of them the second you step onto Bourbon Street that you will literally be weighed down.
  • Anything valuable: it’s just not worth the risk of losing your favorite stuff!

Get ready for one of the best weekends of college!

Her Campus at Emory University