This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With Fall Break, Thanksgiving, and out-of-town job interviews all fast approaching, skip over the baggage check line and pack everything into a carry-on. While the 22″ x 14″ x 9″ bag size restriction may seem daunting, these tips will help you pack everything that you need for a weekend getaway! You’ll be traveling like a platinum member in no time.

Tip #1: Use packing cubes. These packing cubes from Eagle Creek help keep all of your clothes organized and wrinkle-free. They also condense your items so you can take more with you! I use the packing envelope for my nicer items (dresses, collared shirts, structured blazers) and the zip pouches for lounge type t-shirts, athletic wear, pajamas, etc. Some of the packing cubes are also water resistant, which can be a plus if your shampoo accidentally explodes on the plane!

Tip #2: Stick to the basics and pack accessories. It’s a classic rookie mistake to pack your never-been-worn printed crop top. Even though it’s super trendy, you most likely won’t wear it because you aren’t totally comfortable in it yet or you probably forgot to pack the right bottoms to go with it. Pack items that are tried and true—your favorites. A plain black shirt, a striped shirt, an awesome pair of jeans, and black pants will take you a long way. Throw in your favorite fall vest, a jacket, and a couple of scarves or statement necklaces, and you will have a myriad of outfits to pick from!

Tip #3: Bring a tote. Airlines allow one carry-on bag (your small suitcase) and one personal item. Maximize your space by carrying a Longchamp. Pack your water bottle, laptop, and anything that you may need to sleep on the plane in your bag. I usually put my toiletries in my tote for easy access at security.

Tip #4: Pack a hot tool. A flat iron will not only tame hair from gusty fall winds, but you can also run it over any wrinkles in your clothes for a quick touch up!

Happy traveling!

Her Campus at Emory University