sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Southern Road Trip Destinations!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Atlanta is an amazing city, but here in the South, there are so many great cities within driving distance. Going to school here provides a great opportunity to explore places we otherwise might not get to. Here are some ideas of great cities to visit with friends!

1. Savannah, Georgia:

Located in our “home” state of Georgia, Savannah has a great budding art scene, including its recently expanded Telfair Museum, and lots of cute shops. It is a beautiful and charming city, and it is energized by students from Savannah College of Art and Design–perfect for visiting Emory students.

Approximately 3.5 hours from Atlanta

2. Asheville, North Carolina

Asheville is an extremely popular tourist destination, and this is not at all surprising. The area is beautiful–you will find lakes, mountains, arts, and history. While there, look out for The Biltmore House, a lovely and famous estate built by George Vanderbilt.

Approximately 3.5 hours from Atlanta

3. Nashville, Tennessee:

Nicknamed “Music City,” Nashville is sure to provide a great weekend filled with an eclectic mix of music. In this city you’ll find fun bars, stylish restaurants, and musicians of all kinds.

Approximately 4 hours from Atlanta

4. Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston is a beautiful city–you won’t soon forget its ocean views. It is charming and full of history. You can visit old historic homes and take a ferry to Fort Sumter while there, plus be sure to shop along King Street! 

Approximately 5 hours from Atlanta

5. New Orleans, Louisiana:

Last but not least, New Orleans is an amazing city with amazing and unique culture. Mardi Gras is, of course, a great time to go, but the Cajun and Creole culture, exceptional food, and incredible music scene are all available all year round- try going when it’s not so crowded!

Approximately 7 hours from Atlanta

Her Campus at Emory University