‘Tis the Season: Thanksgivukkah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Remember the first season of The O.C. when Seth Cohen introduced us to the groundbreaking pop-culture holiday, Chrismukkah? Well, it’s that time of year again and records are being made. This year, Thanksgiving and the first night of Hanukkah fall on the same day. Talk about a festival of lights of all sorts.

Now, instead of feeling like you’re being shafted with underwhelming Hanukkah festivities as the height of Christmas nears, you can bring in this fun 8-day holiday with a bang with an unforgettable Thanksgiving celebration. And don’t let this holiday pass you by, because this rare overlap won’t happen for another 70,000 years (the next Thanksgivukkah will be in year 79811, we kid you not).

As we all await the month of December where joy enters everyone’s hearts through Christmas tunes on the radio and lights that line the city, this year is extra festive for everyone. While it’s the first time for the living Jews to experience this Americanized Hanukkah, this mash-up holiday is just the start of an iconic holiday season. We get even more time to enjoy the beauty the American holiday season has to offer. Most importantly, we have a new merged holiday, Thanksgivukkah. Not as catchy as Chrismukkah, but it will do.

And this year, when Christmas arrives, Hanukkah celebrators won’t feel overshadowed. Instead, they can embrace the spirit of the holiday season, as they’ve already experienced their own liberating Hanukkah. Thanksgivukkah will be the start of the most joyous holiday season to date, with sleigh bells ringing, menorahs lighting AND pumpkin foods taking over dining room tables everywhere. 

With “lights, liberty & latkes,” get ready for a December to remember, with an unforgettable November to get it all started.  

I am a Journalism and Film Co-Major hoping to write my way through life.
Her Campus at Emory University