photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Tips to Make Traveling Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Getting ready to go home for the holidays? That is a treat in itself—mom’s caramel cake is just an added bonus. Seeing family and home friends, not having to worry about feeding yourself for a while, having your old room back; it’s all so relaxing. But, coming out of midterms or finals and rushing off to the airport often means that coming home also brings a fair share of stress.

Here are some ways to make traveling a bit easier, because the excitement of going home should start the minute you get in the Uber.

Plan your packing

It’s tempting to bring your whole closet home, even if you are only going back for a week. You run into old crushes or that PTA mom from middle school who was always pinning her daughter against you, and you want to look like the “it girl” for all of your casual run-ins. However, you will regret that extra suitcase as you maneuver through baggage claim with luggage falling out of your hands.

No one is asking you not to dress in a way that makes you feel good, but putting a little extra thought into your packing can go a long way. Pick clothes that you like, but that also go well all together. You have options to mix and match, but you don’t need to bring more items to make more outfits. Planning your outfits out ahead of time means that you bring what you know you’ll need and leave out the extras that just take up space. Also, roll anything you pack other than jeans and heavy sweaters. Trust me—it saves space compared to folding.

Plan your outfit

What you wear to the airport can make or break your experience. You want your shoes to be comfortable as you navigate the airport, but you also don’t want the hassle of having to drop everything to untie and retie your shoes at TSA. I am a major proponent of ballet flats; they have enough support to keep you going and the convenience to make sure you don’t stop.

Layers. I use my layers to cocoon on flights. Do you need to wear a cardigan and a jacket on a flight? You do if you want to bunch one under your head as a pillow and use another as a blanket. While there are those lucky ones that pass out immediately on flights, there are just as many that have a hard time, and trust me that extra comfort is key.

Plan your carry-on

I’ll fess up: I’ve lost things out of my carry-on. It’s the worst feeling, and now I have constant anxiety every time I fly that something will slip out of my bag unbeknownst to me. I want to save you from that stress!

Bring a zipped bag. Those large open totes are chic, but not so much when your phone charger falls out of it. Also, make sure that the bag is not too full. You’ll want to be able to get everything you need from it with ease, without worrying about what you are pulling out unintentionally. Computer chargers, textbooks, all three pairs of sunglasses: these things usually can be kept in your luggage instead.

Madeline Holcombe is a junior at Emory University studying English Creative Writing and History. Originally from Southern California, she enjoys dance, Krav Maga, literature, cooking, fashion, skiing, and writing.
Her Campus at Emory University