Spring 2013 Trend Report

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Finding ways to wear runway styles to the Row (or class) can be a difficult task, especially when over-the-top ruffles and sheer clothing are part of the mix.  Other spring 2013 trends included black and white mixing, Asian embellishments, and feminine suits, but don’t fret!  These five styles can easily be worn out in Atlanta or to the classroom.  How?  Read on!

1) Ruffles, seen on runways like Givenchy and Balenciaga, can quickly take over one’s body and look childish if not worn appropriately.  To avoid this, wear minimal ruffles in flirty dress or shirt form, like this Modcloth piece.  It screams spring!  

2) Sheer clothes can be dangerous for obvious reasons, but showing a bit of skin is appropriate when out at night in Atlanta or even to class!  Roberto Cavalli showed patterned sheer shirts, which look great with jean shorts or pants for class, like the Cacharel blouse here shows.  A sheer cami with high-waisted pants is appropriate for nighttime wear, especially with chunky wedges.

3) Black and white – simple, easy, and appropriate 100% of the time, whether worn as a striped shirt for day, or as a tight dress at night.

4) Asian embellishments, such as boxy structures and patterns, were seen on the spring runways at Prada and Emilio Pucci, but can also be seen in your wardrobe!  Mother flower pants give off the Asian feel without being hard to pair with tops and shoes for school or night.  

5) Blazers blazers blazers!  They can be worn out at night with a cute dress or skirt, or for day with jeans and flats.  They are always appropriate.

Images thanks to Fashionising.com, Style.com and Shopbop.com.  

Her Campus at Emory University