Six Ways to Enjoy Fall Break in Atlanta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’re in a similar position as me and your parents don’t love you enough to send you home over Fall Break, you’re probably trying to figure out what there is to do over the four-day weekend (besides sleep). While you might’ve initially wanted to go home to see your family and friends, there’s so much to do here in Atlanta that will keep you from going stir crazy in your dorm room. If you’re stuck on ideas, try a few Her Campus approved suggestions:

1) Exploring Nature

As Emory students, we naturally want to see all of Atlanta. In spite of that, we’ve learned that trips beyond Emory Village or Emory Point only happen occasionally for some good dinner in Buckhead or Midtown. However, if you’re looking to literally see the entire city, why not take a trip over to Stone Mountain? Talk about some amazing views (and Instagrams, obviously).

If you’re looking to get some beautiful fresh air and would prefer to stay closer to campus, definitely consider taking a trip over to Lullwater Park. Whether you’re looking to take a casual stroll or head out for a run, Lullwater is a breathtaking scene to surround yourself in. Take some friends and enjoy the outdoors; after all, it’s probably nicer out here than wherever you’d be going home to.

2) Exploring Restaraunts

One of my favorite things about Atlanta is that, like New York (my home state), there are so many amazing and exotic places to go out to eat. I usually try my best to stick to my meal plan, which unfortunately means that I ditch the DUC for some real food only once a week. So when I heard that the DUC would be closed all of Fall Break, I was thrilled. Fall Break is finally your first legitimate excuse to leave campus for meals (as if having to eat dry chicken twice a day, seven times a week wasn’t enough of one). One of my new personal favorites is Genki in Virginia Highlands, which serves out-of-this-world sushi. If you’re not a sushi person, they have build-your-own rice and noodle bowls too. If you’re looking for some American food, try Murphy’s, and for some classic, authentic Italian, head over to Antico Pizza. Atlanta is definitely a foodie’s heaven. 

3) Group Fitness Classes

Personally, I am a huge advocate of group fitness, but after attending a few classes at the WoodPEC, I wasn’t as satisfied as I expected. Atlanta has some great studios for group fitness classes, so whether you’re interested in cycling, barre, or just a calming hour of pilates or yoga, there’s something for you to do. If you’re interested in cycling, Flywheel offers thrilling indoor cycling classes in Buckhead and Midtown. The first class is free, so you really have nothing to lose (except maybe a few pounds, of course). Pink Barre offers a total body barre workout right in Emory Point, and they even have a promotion called “Free Friend Fridays,” so you can start you can start your break the right way with Pink Barre right after your last class!  Urban Body has yoga and pilates classes that can get you feeling like you’re truly on a “break.” They even have massages at their studio that you can treat yourself to give your body its well-deserved break. 

4) Halloween Prep

Halloween is every girl’s favorite time of the year! The outfit possibilities are endless. Plus, it’s the one time a year when you’re not judged by anyone for what you’re wearing—or not wearing, for that matter. A lot of thought goes into our Halloween costumes, so why not start planning early? I can’t remember how many times I’ve found myself with no costume plan with only a day until October 31st. Check out sites like Pinterest for inspiration – then use the extra time to make your way over to Lenox Mall and start shopping before all the good costumes are sold out!  

5) Falling Into Fall

Fall is undeniably an amazing season for fashion, but besides rotating our closets to showcase our leather boots and sweaters, there’s so much more to do to transition into the season. Why not take a trip over to go apple picking or pumpkin picking with friends – if you’re up for the road trip? It’s a great way to feel like a kid again and bond with your Emory family that you’ll be spending fall break with. 

6) Cirque Du Soleil

Cirque Du Soleil is like going to a costume party, except you’re not the one getting dressed up — talk about a stress relief! The event is essentially a circus performance with a multitude of incredible acts and stunts that you’ll be amazed by. There are usually two performances a day (an afternoon and an evening) so whether you’re looking to make a day out of it or change up your night scene, it’s a great, out-of-the-box way to stay entertained. Atlanta’s Cirque Du Soleil is located in Atlantic Station, which means that it’s a great chance to explore around the area. If you’re a foodie, plan to eat a meal before the show at Strip or Rosa Mexicana; if not, explore some of the fun stores (even if it’s just for window shopping). To purchase tickets, you can go to https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/amaluna/tickets/atlanta.aspx

Whether you end up spending your break exploring or spend the entirety of it in bed on Netflix, remember to just relax and enjoy yourself. It’s a short break lasting only four days, so spend your time wisely and treat yourself to a Pumpkin Spice Latté, because you deserve it.

Her Campus at Emory University