burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s officially semi-formal season here at Emory and, as they say in America’s Next Top Model, you want to look good from “H to T.” We often spend a lot of time on our dresses, hair, and makeup, but what about the shoes? Your semi-formal shoe choice is important and in some cases can make or break your experience, or at least determine how many blisters you sport for the following weeks. Your shoes should not be an afterthought, but rather a fun way of expressing your style or a comfy way to dance the night away.

1. Bright Colors

Adding a pop of color with your shoes is one of my favorite style choices. When paired with a little black dress, bright colored shoes and matching accessories, like a bow in your hair, can make a perfect semi-formal outfit. Chances are you already have black, silver, gold, or tan heels, so if you want to splurge on a new pair branch out and explore the color wheel. Try a color that complements your hair or your eyes, or something that goes with other pieces in your wardrobe.

2. Unique Shapes or Textures

There are many different styles and textures that can make your shoes interesting. Shoes with straps that wrap around in a Mary Jane style, two-toned shoes, lace overlays, heels that lace up, or even suede shoes that add a nice texture can be a great conversation starter and attention getter for your outfit.

3. “Sensible” Shoes

Maybe the matriarchs in our families had it right; sensible shoes are the way to go. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be cute as well. There are plenty of options out there that allow you to wear cute shoes, add height, and feel confident all without the added fear of potentially breaking an ankle. Booties are a great example of this. They provide more support and make you feel secure in your shoes, plus they are trending right now. Another option is wedges. Wedges can be extremely comfortable and they are more stable than heels. If you’re feeling bold and really want to be comfortable, cute converse or vans can be the perfect choice if you know how to rock them!

Investing in quality semi shoes is not a waste because you can use them for upcoming holiday parties or even spring formals…and who doesn’t need another pair of heels in their closet? As Christian Louboutin said, “A shoe is not only a design, but it’s a part of your body language, the way you walk. The way you’re going to move is quite dictated by your shoes.”  So choose something you are comfortable in and make them your own!

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University