Sammie Scott, Editor-in-Chief of Black Star Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Sammie Scott, the editor-in-chief of Black Star Magazine! This junior, who loves live-tweeting her life (@sammie_scottie), is a sociology major and media studies minor. When she’s not busy with ruling Twitter, she’s busy, (in her words) “plotting how to become BFFs with the Knowles sisters.” Catch up with Sammie and find out how you can read Black Star’s latest issue!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): How did you get involved with Black Star Magazine?

Sammie Scott (SS): Black Star‘s table was the first I went to at the Student Activities Fair during freshman year. I was excited that there was an entire publication dedicated to celebrating and exploring the Black communities at Emory and beyond. I applied and was brought on as a fashion writer, layout designer, and Arts & Entertainment editor. The rest is history, I guess. 

HCE: What’s it like being Editor-in-Chief?

SS: Stressful, fun, exhausting and rewarding. It’s amazing to help transform a collection of ideas into a tangible product. Also being a part of the design team allows me to be really hands-on.

HCE: What’s your goal for each issue that is released?

SS: I hope to produce interesting and thought-provoking content, conveyed through beautiful and creative design.

HCE: Do you plan on pursuing anything journalism-related post-graduation?

SS: I’ve thought about doing freelance writing or design as a side-hustle, but professionally I’m focused on social media, digital strategy, and PR within the fashion industry. Hopefully that works out! I think it will, tbh. 

HCE: Does Black Star have any events or plan on releasing another issue next semester?

SS: We have a couple pretty cool events coming up in early February, but the details are still under wraps! I promise it’ll be dope though. What I can tell you is that we plan to kick off our Spring semester with an info session as we’re looking to add some new faces to our team! If you love the Black communities at Emory and are interested in writing, editing, design, photography, or social media shoot an email blackstar.emory@gmail.com and be on the lookout for the application over the next few weeks.  

The link to the Fall 2013 issue is here: http://issuu.com/theblackstar/docs/fall2013magazinefinal

We’re on Facebook & Twitter

Physical copies can be found on the 2nd floor of the DUC! 

Her Campus at Emory University