The Revival of Emory SDT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Emory Greek Life has taken quite a few hits lately, with the removal of four national Greek organizations total in the past four years. Shockingly, the number of Emory sororities has gone down by a full quarter with the removal of Alpha Epsilon Phi (AEPhi) in spring of 2011 and the deactivation of Sigma Delta Tau (SDT) at the end of 2012 due to low numbers. These losses resulted in unexpectedly massive new pledge classes for each of the remaining six sororities this past spring recruitment. But finally, after a few years of sorority mishaps, SDT is back and ready for action–read on to learn about some of their new plans!

Results from SDT’s elections are in, and Lindsey Baker will be installed as the new president of Emory’s chapter. “I’ve always wanted an on-campus sorority experience and this will finally give me that opportunity,” she says. As a personal friend of hers, I’m pretty pumped about what this revamped sorority has in store. After last week’s Student Activities Fair on Emory’s McDonough Field, SDT’s current 30-some girls are excited that they’re able to “revitalize this chapter and make a whole new name for it,” according to SDT member Emmy Firestone.

There’s a lot to look forward to for the 2013 sorority makeover. SDT is planning several public relations events for this year, including an LF trunk show at the SDT lodge October 2 from 10-5!

SDT already has its second chapter meeting on schedule for this week, which is ahead of the game in sorority life on Emory’s campus. Baker says they plan to spend this semester building strong relationships on campus rather than filling their calendar with strictly social events, a smart move with the current state of Greek Life affairs. “We want to show people what we’re about,” Baker says.

This historically and nationally Jewish sorority is fitting on campus considering Emory’s thriving Jewish community. It is also definitely necessary after last year’s recruitment, where the 500-plus girls who rushed were divided into only six sororities, resulting in record-breaking 60-some member pledge classes across the board… not a great ratio considering frat pledge classes tend to max out around 19. 

Emory’s lodges are nearly split equally between Greek letters and letters of the alphabet. Those English letters signify unaffiliated lodges and more so, the sadly low number of sororities left to divide the hundreds of rushies this spring recruitment. The news of SDT’s revival should be exciting for every girl considering rush because now Emory has seven sororities to chose from come spring recruitment. We can’t wait to see what SDT will contribute to Greek Life!

I am a Journalism and Film Co-Major hoping to write my way through life.
Her Campus at Emory University