Quick Takes: NYFW, Fall ’14 RTW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The tents are up and the streets of New York are cluttered with fashion’s elite. This can only mean one thing…New York fashion week is upon us. Here are my “quick take” reviews from five of the hottest designers this season.

Alexander Wang

Wang’s Fall line was inevitably urban and utterly chic. Look no further for your new coat because AW’s outerwear was the focal point of this utilitarian line. The collection has the feel of an English deer hunter, horseback riding through the forest. The finale showcased Wang’s heat-activated, leather suiting pieces.

Donna Karen

The queen of drapery and jersey’s 30th anniversary collection was reminiscent of a sophisticated, lethal killer à la Angelina Jolie. The collection was entirely monochrome with outfits in black, white, red, and camel. Most of the looks were complete with thigh high suede boots. Not a pant leg in sight!

Diane von Furstenburg

The DVF show was full of metallics (silvers and pewters to open and a flurry of gold cocktail dresses to close). In the middle of the show color appeared with pops of purple, red, and blue. Unsurprisingly, print is the takeaway from the wrap dress queen’s fall line with a particular emphasis on wave motifs and stars.

Jason Wu

My immediate reaction to Jason Wu’s Fall RTW line…absolutely stunning. The typically ultra-femme designer butched up his gowns just enough to fit into the masculine trend of the season. Although his line barely showed any skin, the silk and lace gowns show off the female form perfectly. Well-done Wu. Well-done.

Oscar de la Renta

What began as menswear inspired pantsuit ensembles, ODLR’s Fall collection slowly transitioned into the feminine frocks we love. Furs, pinstripes, leather, and lace were all accounted for. Be on the lookout for an ODLR gown on the Oscars red carpet. I predict at least one to be donned by one of our favorite stars.

Her Campus at Emory University